CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Reabsorb eggs?

Old 11-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #1
JemmaUK
Reabsorb eggs?

I have two young female cornsnakes that I haven't bred this year - one a yearling but she's grown fast the other is a either two or three years old (bad memory from fibromyalgia) should I offer them a lay box or will they either just lay slugs or reabsorb them. And can anyone recommend a place to get hold of lay boxes or a good brand or size of lay box for them. At least the younger of the two looks gravid.
I've got a pair that I've bred for years but I usually sit down with her and watch over her as she lays and transfer them over as she lays but I want to do this more seriously and I need more help and advice.

Thanks and sorry if I'm asking silly questions but my health pretty bad right now and it's hard to concentrate on searching for stuff when my brain is a mess

Old 11-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
Shiari
Why do you think the yearling is gravid? As for lay boxes, a 6qt plastic bin with a hole cut in the lid and filled with damp sphagnum moss is what I use. Also, don't take the eggs as they are laid. While that one female may tolerate it, none of mine would and you risk stressing them. I check once a day and when i see eggs i leave the female alone for another 24 hours before removing the eggs from the lay box.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
JemmaUK
She's showing all the signs - she's not overweight - there are the usual gentle undulations on her belly - thinking about it she's two years old not one. As I said memory is fritzed and I found out why recently and she was born before the bronchopneumonia I had in 2019. I'm assuming a solid (non see through) box is the type I need? I'm guessing by 6qts you mean 5 litre box or of a size comfortably fit the snake?
Will have to get hold of the sphagnum moss but that's fairly easy to get hold of..

Thanks for info.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
JemmaUK
I'm a little confused here, am I supposed to put the lay box in the viv with the snake? Or take her out beforehand? Each snake is in a 2ftx1.5ft viv and a box that big will barely fit in there.. If you could let me know.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
Shiari
Lay box goes in the females cage. I use clear sided ones so i can check for eggs without opening the bin and disturbing the female.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:12 AM   #6
MysticExotics
I agree with Shiari, on all counts.

You may be mistaking ovulation with being gravid.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #7
JemmaUK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
I agree with Shiari, on all counts.

You may be mistaking ovulation with being gravid.

Looks like you are right, so if they're gravid now (I have two females who are same size) when would I expect them to want to lay if I don't mate them(I'm thinking January? Or will it be later?). I have both of them on their own. Not entirely sure what weight they need to be to breed successfully either - 300g is the best consensus I can find.
My usual breeding female is in the same condition and in blue so I'm expecting her to mate after she sheds?

These may be obvious questions but my memory has got a lot worse recently and the fibro screws with my sense of time very badly.

PS - try not to rip into me, I'm dealing with a £7,500 fraud against me, recent diagnosis of fibromyalgia and skin cancer - I seriously DON'T need verbal abuse when I'm trying to get advice to be able to do this right. I don't want to make any mistakes. I have bad enough luck as it is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google