CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

What I saw first hand

Old 09-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
cornsonly
What I saw first hand

I had a few minutes of free time yesterday at work so I decided to stop at the local Petco. I walked around for a few minutes looking at the fish and small rodents, then I went over to the reptile department. I looked into the corn snake cage and saw first hand what co habbing leads to. Right in front of me was a snake with a second snake hanging out of his mouth. I couldn't believe it, I have heard many stories and even seen pictures but never thought I would ever see it first hand. So I went over to the guy working there and told him and he says to me oh well survival of the fittest. I wanted to punch the guy in the face. I said to him those snakes shouldn't be kept together some are much smaller. He said they only have 1 corn snake cage and that is where they all go. What a moron.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Nanci
You should have taken a picture.

I'd write to someone at Petco to complain.

No one ever believes that it can really happen. Well, it can.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
AliCat37
I had a similar experience at a reptile store here.. I was watching one of the corns eat another one and I went to the front to complain and they literally laughed at me and said corns don't eat each other. I told them to go look and they just were like "Oh *&#%" and started to laugh. They did separate the others from the cannibal but still.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Bryanchesnutt
How are these kind of places allowed to sell animals that they obviously know nothing about? Makes me sick

Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
cornsnakeforsale_com
I was over there yesterday (or Petsmart - I can't keep them straight) and they had the little pricing/info card on there that said:

compatibility: communal

I wanted a photo but I didn't get one. I think what they mean is:

store shelfspace: as little as possible
price: as high as possible
longevity: 15 years (in our store 2 months)
feeding: once a week (in our store once every 2 months)
our cost: $3
potential loss: $3

Old 09-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnakeforsale_com View Post
I was over there yesterday (or Petsmart - I can't keep them straight) and they had the little pricing/info card on there that said:

I wanted a photo but I didn't get one. I think what they mean is:

store shelfspace: as little as possible
price: as high as possible
longevity: 15 years (in our store 2 months)
feeding: once a week (in our store once every 2 months)
our cost: $3
potential loss: $3

You could make a sticker...

Old 09-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
cornsonly
I did take a pic. will try to get it posted on here not the greatest from my cell phone.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
AliCat37
[quote=cornsnakeforsale_com;1496542]

/QUOTE]

I saw this too, I think it was petsmart.. >.>
ugh!

Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Brionuhh
Yes, Petsmart does have a label saying communal. I get so upset every time I go in because I know they don't care. There were four corns together in on tiny tank and a Jackson's Chameleon in a tank of 100 degrees and no humidity. I let the one sales person that I trust know about the chameleon and she fixed it.

I want to take all the poor things home with me, but I know that will just promote the terrible keeping even more so I don't. It just makes me so sad. :/

Old 09-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
HermesMom
Oh my gosh, that is just horrible!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google