• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Release or Euthanize Cornsnakes? What's your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Em Wright

The Ice Queen
A debate was started in a different thread, mostly about whether or not euthanizing a sick snake/deformed/refusing to eat is proper. It came up that releasing them into the wild was a better course of action.

I know that there probably are a LOT of views on this subject so rather than taking up the other thread I think it's best to start another for the purpose of discussing this.

So the topics at hand are:

1) Is it okay to release unwanted/unhealthy Cornsnakes in your backyard?
2) Should you euthanize or let nature decide by doing nothing for sick/deformed/refusing to eat snakes?

I urge everyone with an opinion to post it, no matter what that opinion is! Thanks guys!

I am against releasing unwanted animals in the wild, period.

But, if I had no problem with it, I wouldn't still release a sick/deformed/refusing to eat animal in the wild because I would just be prolonging its death. The only difference is that I would not be witnessing it.

To avoid a problem is very different than to not have a problem.

Just my $0.02

I strongly disagree with putting a snake in the freezer because it's not anesthetically pleasing.

If the animal is ill and on it's way out, and you have done all you can do, I still disagree. Set it free, let nature be the judge. As far as imbalancing an ecosystem by releasing corn snakes in the wild, that seems highly unlikely.

jpccusa, how can you predict something w/out witnessing it. Isn't that called guessing? What if the animal thrives in it's natural enviroment?

I strongly disagree with putting a snake in the freezer because it's not anesthetically pleasing.

If the animal is ill and on it's way out, and you have done all you can do, I still disagree. Set it free, let nature be the judge. As far as imbalancing an ecosystem by releasing corn snakes in the wild, that seems highly unlikely.

Well, remember that this forum has people from many different places on Earth... I don't see how unbalancing the ecosystem can be so highly unlikely.

Releasing Burmese/Reticulated Pythons into the florida everglades; I disagree with. Releasing a corn snake in the woods; release away.

Another view here is how responsible is it for someone to release a sick diseased animal in the wild to infect other healthy aniamls? It is a personal opinion and mine was made clear in the other thread freeze the poor sick animal. Do not allow it to infect a healthy flora or become prey which is just as painful as being frozen. DUH!!!

I assumed we all had the common conception of an enviroment that the snake could thrive in, not alaska, jpccusa.

jpccusa, how can you predict something w/out witnessing it. Isn't that called guessing? What if the animal thrives in it's natural enviroment?

A cornsnakes natural environment is from South Carolina to Florida not anywhere in the world.

If the snake is a non feeder, how would it be a hunter?
Supposedly, breeders try F/T, braining, slashing, live, etc. before giving up on an animal.

What if you don't LIVE in the woods. What if you live in a city or suburb?

Releasing is not always the best thing to do and Cornsnakes are not indiginous everywhere in the world or even in the US.

Now if you live out in the middle of nowhere and there are cornsnakes in your area. Yeah, maybe. But it doesn't garauntee that the animals will miracuously get better just because they live out in the wild. So jp's statment is NOT so far off. Sure, the change in environment might help, but really it's not any different.

And if the snake is kinked and has trouble eating and defecating NOTHING about releasing it into the wild will make a difference. It will die in the wild as well and suffer until it does.

We take cornsnakes into our CARE. Caring for them sometimes means doing the responsible thing and ending their lives/suffering. Sure it might not be the natural course of life, but it is the right thing to do. At least in my opinion.

One of the main reasons I got a California king snake was for this very reason. He will be a 'disposal' for any deformed babies that may hatch out (I also got him because I think he's absolutely gorgeous and has more personality than any snake I've ever met).

In most states, well mine for sure, releasing anything into the wild is illegal and carries a heavy fine if you are caught (even wild caught animals are illegal to release in PA if they have been in captivity for more than a week, I believe). Not to mention the harm a snake could do to a non-native environment (I know corns are native to NC, but I'm just saying this as a general statement). Look at the damage that large snakes (burms, etc.) have done to the environment in Florida. If you have a diseased animal that is released, it could spread that disease. If a deformed animal does manage to survive and it breeds, it could be passing on the deformity into the general population of the species.

Euthanize and/or feed off animals like this.

Nope Sorry i am in Maryland and there are no corns here who can't live in freezing temps- but nice try!

And you in New York fat chance of survival there where it is even colder. So you would freeze them outside, but not next to your peas? SWEET!!!

One of the main reasons I got a California king snake was for this very reason. He will be a 'disposal' for any deformed babies that may hatch out (I also got him because I think he's absolutely gorgeous and has more personality than any snake I've ever met).

In most states, well mine for sure, releasing anything into the wild is illegal and carries a heavy fine if you are caught (even wild caught animals are illegal to release in PA if they have been in captivity for more than a week, I believe). Not to mention the harm a snake could do to a non-native environment (I know corns are native to NC, but I'm just saying this as a general statement). Look at the damage that large snakes (burms, etc.) have done to the environment in Florida. If you have a diseased animal that is released, it could spread that disease. If a deformed animal does manage to survive and it breeds, it could be passing on the deformity into the general population of the species.

Euthanize and/or feed off animals like this.

That's why I'm getting a Florida King. To eat slug eggs, non feeder or deformed hatchlings, and any mice that get refused. I'm naming it "Maytag"!

I wouldn't release a snake here, danielle. Also, your delivering incorrect information to people. Corn snakes are native to Southern New Jersey all the way to the florida keys. Look it up, your wrong.

First off, if not all, in most states it is illegal to release a captive animal into the wild. Wonder why??? Because captive animals may carry diseases that wild populations cannot defend against. Captive animals may carry genetics that would pollute the wild populations. An additional animal in the neighbor hood will be competing for food with what was a balanced ecosystem before you helped out. Any number of reasons.

If you live in the heart of cornsnake country in the very best habitat why would you want to introduce a sick deformed genetically inferior animal to the healthy population?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back