CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

photo upload error

Old 07-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
cornsnakeforsale_com
photo upload error

I got this error a day or two ago...

"Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file."

It was from this section:

Manage Attachments - Upload File from a URL

Sounds like a file system permissions problem to me.

Here's some info that may be relevant, https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...temporary-file .

Thanks

Old 07-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Rich Z
I don't know what to tell you, as obviously others have been uploading pictures without any issues.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
cornsnakeforsale_com
Well, people complain all the time that they have difficulties uploading photos, perhaps this is part of the problem.

If you reply here you can see what I'm talking about. Click on "go advanced" below.

When the new page opens, click on the attachments icon (paperclip). That pops up a new window. From there you can upload a file from your computer, which has always worked fine for me.

But if you use the upload from a url option it doesn't work.

Upload Errors
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/images/cas-01.jpg:
Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file.

This happens for me in IE9 and Firefox 13. I'm not the only one. Either the temp folder (eg. /tmp or c:\temp) hasn't been selected correctly or the web server doesn't have permissions to write to the folder. Either way it's a small fix.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnakeforsale_com View Post
Well, people complain all the time that they have difficulties uploading photos, perhaps this is part of the problem.

If you reply here you can see what I'm talking about. Click on "go advanced" below.

When the new page opens, click on the attachments icon (paperclip). That pops up a new window. From there you can upload a file from your computer, which has always worked fine for me.

But if you use the upload from a url option it doesn't work.

Upload Errors
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/images/cas-01.jpg:
Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file.

This happens for me in IE9 and Firefox 13. I'm not the only one. Either the temp folder (eg. /tmp or c:\temp) hasn't been selected correctly or the web server doesn't have permissions to write to the folder. Either way it's a small fix.
Personally, I don't see much sense putting a photo already on another server onto my own when it will be just as easy to refer to the URL directly via the IMG tag. So the solution is to simply upload photos from your own PC, or refer to existing images on a server via the IMG tag and call it a day.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
cornsnakeforsale_com
I'm aware of how to get around the problem, I just thought you might want to know.

Thanks

Old 07-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Pugsley
Rich, while I find the loading of photos on BB annoying as you have to be logged in to see them, which I can't do from work, it is more annoying to look at old threads and find that the pictures being discussed are no longer there. I guess that is one advantage to putting them on to your server.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
cornsnakeforsale_com
That's true, especially all the dumb photo bucket accounts that no longer work.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
Rich Z
Well then, save the image to your local drive and then just upload it from there. It's really no big deal...........

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google