CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Contributing...

Old 06-14-2005, 03:37 PM   #71
DAND
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menhir
Last post from me.
The infamous last words?

Old 06-14-2005, 03:45 PM   #72
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
This is the thing. Cornsnakes.com is a private website, owned by Rich. Therefore, Rich is the dictator of said website, and anything he says, goes. Nothing on here is a right, but everything in fact is a privilege.

priv·i·lege Audio pronunciation of "privilege" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prv-lj, prvlj)
n.

1. A special advantage, immunity, permission, right, or benefit granted to or enjoyed by an individual, class, or caste. See Synonyms at right.
Joe, he already clarified this.

Quote:
OK, "rights" both means rights and privilege in German - sorry for that. Especially in boards and so on you use "rights" for everything you are allowed to do or allowed to use.
I think the vast majority of this has come down to playing semantics.

Quote:
We have a 'Discussions about this site' so we can make suggestions to Rich about how to change certain things or implement new things into the site. Rich does not have to take our advice on said suggestions
That's what he did, he made a suggestion. Then people argued with him about the suggestion. He conceded the original point, and went on to try to explain what it was he had a problem with (he got the feeling some comments were meant as "if you don't give money you're not really contributing to this site") and it turned into an argument over specific interpretations of his statements.

I think several people are also still trying to argue the original point long after he had dropped it.

Don't forget that people who say "stop complaining and shut up" are doing the exact same thing as the "complainer" is doing...

Old 06-14-2005, 05:58 PM   #73
Joejr14
Quote:
Isn't that allowed?
Sorry, it's called the process of learning - especially you should know that, hmm?
Where did I say that it wasn't allowed? I never said that, I simply said that you quoted something that I wrote and then said nevermind once you re-read it. Whether you retracted your comments due to the reaction you got or if you really went back and re-read it and got a different meaning, it's all really quite pointless. You're entitled to do whatever you wish.

Quote:
Please quote me where I did anything different than writing my opinion and give other people the possibility to think about and discuss them (with me). Please, do so or take back your statement.
I never said you did anything different than making a suggestion or complaint about the contributer issue. Why do you keep telling me to take back my statements or to go back and edit things? I didn't pay $25 to use the edit features to go back and make my posts nice and pretty. The edit button is there to fix spelling and grammar mistakes, not to run back to a post a few days old and change the whole meaning of the post around. So no, I'm not going to go retract any statement that perhaps you did not like.

Quote:
Sorry, but I find this quite rude. I stated several times that I have nothing against buying a service or having that little blinking coin under your username. You found me stating different things, please quote it.
But, you have.

Quote:
If you should donate to get full functionality to spend your knowledge to a "commercial" board, thats not OK for me. I read the "we have to give something back to the board (and that means money!)" in every 5-10th thread know and slowly I feel pushed into a direction that I don't want.
That was from your very first post. You said that you didn't mind people paying for a subforum, but you do mind people paying $25 a year for full functionality of the board.

Quote:
So, perhaps Rich could think of giving the contributers the extra benefit of a sub forum and open the rest of the functionality to the "community" again.
Quote:
I wrote that it got more and more that I read in many threads of new members and in signatures that we HAVE TO CONTRIBUTE to give THE SITE SOMETHING BACK. Sorry, if my knowledge is not enough...
Quote:
I still feel that the coin divides into a 2 class membership and still, I'm a blue collar I think. The internet and all that boards were build on people giving us freeware and communities working together to keep their platform alive and healthy. Thats why it still scares me that paying members have a different class than others not regarding their knowledge or commitment (money excluded) to the community.
Quote:
I just reacted on the fact that "we" lost rights that others didn't and I got the feeling that I should respond on that. It was clear for me that this wouldn't be a popular opinion.
First of all, you keep harping on the fact that many members have 'you must contribute' in their signatures. That is simply not the case. If you cannot differntiate between 'Want to be a contributing member, click here!' and 'You must contribute to save the site, so click here!' then I'm not even going to have this discussion. I know that english is not your first language, and I really do wonder if that is the biggest part of the problem here. It seems that you read things and do not fully understand the english meaning or slang behind some words and their meanings, and you get in a tizzy. The whole right versus privilige thing comes to mind.

Nobody has said that you must contribute monetarily to be an asset to this community. Not once has that <b> ever </b> been said, nor implied. If you took it that way, then the blame of that rests with you. I have never seen anything like that at all even remotely implied since I've been here.

Quote:
Ah - I remember, you never meant "f*ck off and go away, didn't you?".
Nope.

Quote:
Sorry folks, I tried to argue in a correct way and to back my opinions up with reasons. But what Joe wrote is simply not what I wrote and I don't have to have this kind of conversation with someone unable to deal with critics and think of other peoples opinions carefully.
Last post from me.
Just because I don't agree with anything you've said doesn't mean that I've ignored your opinions or thought of them carefully. I don't know why you're always jumping to conclusions about these things---you've done it all thread long. It's clear that the majority of the people here are not in agreement with your earlier points, and I'm even confused on what your final point is.

Non-paying members do not have reduced functionality on the board. Rich didn't decide one day to allow people to be a contributer and then yank away the edit feature of those people who refused to contribute.

I really don't know why there's this venom flowing in this thread. Nobody has stated that they don't think you contribute to the forum, I think you've just got it in your mind that 'contribute' means with money. Nobody has said that. You're getting upset over a word and quite frankly I think it's silly. I think everyone just needs to take a deep breath and relax, because a simple discussion shouldn't get people this upset or combative. I took nothing that was said here as an insult, and I surely hope that people who's opinions differed didn't feel that a debate on the opinion was an insult.

Old 06-15-2005, 12:34 AM   #74
El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
So there you go. The cards are on the table. If someone doesn't like this alternative, then put yourself in my shoes and think about what YOU might do with the same circumstances.
Rich:
Best statement in the whole dang thread!
I could not agree more. Your site + your paycheck = your rules. I don't see a problem with it. Obviously if it offended everyone there would be no little coins by names and there wouldn't be 70+ replies on this thread!

....and as soon as my snakes start hatching and I can get a POSITIVE amount in my paypal account, I will have a little coin too.

Cheers,
-Jeff

Old 06-15-2005, 04:47 AM   #75
JTGoff69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas
Jen, that was rude and untactful? Sheesh..you're a tiger when you get mad.

LOL Misty, actually after I wrote that I used RA's advice to himself and exercised restraint. So now I will go back and edit that statement out because I CAN.

Dand, you crack me up.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:22 AM   #76
greymaiden
I agree that I am glad you posted this, and I think that regardless of your difficulty with the language, you managed to convey an opinion without undue hostility, so I also applaud your rhetorical skills.

This forum has been absolutely invaluable to me over the past few years, and doubly so since I have started breeding my snakes. As soon as I sell my first clutch of babies I'm going to use the money to finance my contribution to the forums. Not that I don't have the money now, I just like the poetic nature of waiting until the money comes from my own snakes.

I think this forum is an excellent example of how capitalism and community service can coexist happily, and you nailed that in your post.

It takes a while to work the kinks out of these things, and I know from running my own internet forums (not snake related) that the amount of time and effort it takes to moderate a place like this is more than one might anticipate. Figuring out how to keep civil, constructive, and useful boards on the internet is a lot harder than it looks. A mod really has to be on top of things so they don't get out of hand. Effort is often invisible when things go right, but I can tell you from experience that keeping internet boards with hundreds of members is very difficult. So even if he is selling more snakes thanks to these boards, our gratitude to him for taking the time and effort to keep them, and keep them constructive and useful, is still well placed. I, personally, wish he would tell me his secret for keeping these boards such a civil place to commune. I mean honestly, have you seen the forums other places on the internet? SCARY!

I think there are certain figureheads in the cornsnake community that we all generally respect and admire because we learned from them. Rich is one of these people. He's been breeding for a long time, and he openly shares his breeding information on his website so we can all benefit and learn from it.

We don't really think he's a god, but his efforts have certainly been very helpful to many of us over the years and we've learned a lot from him, so we do tend to hold him in very high regard. He's a good businessman and a great resource for the reptile community. Common psychology tells us that positive reinforcement works better than anything else, so we like to tell Rich what a good job he is doing so that he keeps doing it! We'd all be bereft if he gave up.

I haven't used your genetics calculator, preferring my own old-school punnet squares, but that is also an excellent service for the community, and I hope you continue to get positive and encouraging feedback on it

Thanks for the thoughts,
Jamie Lynn

Old 06-28-2005, 11:38 AM   #77
ghosthousecorns
Menhir, I am always using your calculator, it has helped me a lot & it's saved to my favorite places so I wanted to say thanks for that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google