CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Petstore baby.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
Cadance
Petstore baby.

I hope this is the right thread to post this in. My best friend and I just adopted a baby corn snake from a pet store. As ball python owners, we know that pet stores can sometimes be the least reliable places to adopt reptiles from, but we did it anyways. The corn snakes are about 6 inches long and we think 3 weeks. We weren't that concerned until we realized that the snake in the tank next to ours was dead. I know that sometimes as babies, they can be fragile and just pass, but is there anything we can do to prevent this?

She is our first corn snake and we named her Maple. I believe she doesn't have any morph, but her belly is black and white checkers, while on top she is red, orange and has florescent pink dots in her pattern. According to the pet store, she has eaten fine. She's on f/t pinkies and very active. The humidity is 42%, warm side is varying from 84 to 86, and cool side is room temp. She seems in perfect health, but we are worried after seeing her neighbour dead. Any advice and tips are welcome.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:09 AM   #2
Twolunger
Without knowing why the other snake died, all you can do is keep an eye on yours. It sounds like you have things under control. If Maple eats and sheds properly, and is active all should be well. I just cringe when I hear that a petshop is selling baby corns that size. It may be that the other baby corn just wasn't eating well.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
smale492
My corn was about that size when I got him from a breeder (not good at all was very upsset). Babies at least mine did not want to eat/ or know how to and it took over a month to get him to. That may be why the other baby died (because the pet store did not know how to get the baby to start eating)

Old 07-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #4
Cadance
They said that the other baby ate. Apparently she was eating pinky heads only, which I thought weird considering she was the same size as the others. My friend and I believe this could be the reason.
The pet store said that my snake was eating full pinkies, but last time I fed Maple, I checked on her two days after and she still had a rather large lump where the food was. Should I be worried? It's the same size she has been eating since we got her. She didn't go on her hot side at all since I fed her. That seemed kind weird weird and I thought maybe that plays into it because of belly hear helps digestion.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
DollysMom
One thing I've learned is that as long as you provide the heat gradient they will go where they want to go. As to the lump, just don't handle until the lump is gone. I wouldn't worry just yet. Just be watchful and aware.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google