CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Be the tree.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
Pine
Thumbs up Be the tree.

Thought I would share a trick I just learned.
I about a month ago got this adult Butter Corn and she was at a local breeder. They were letting her go because they lost the Male that was going to be paired with her.
My wife saw her and told me and I figured I would get her for my adult male.
Enough of that.
Problem, she was very hard to handle. She didn't bite but she constantly moved fast. It would wear me out.
I tried hanging her every day except after feeding.
I finally posted a question online and the Snake Whisperer had an answer.
While holding the snake, gently move your arm up and down like a tree branch.
To my surprise, she wraps herself around my hand and stays calm and relaxed.
I was able to take this picture with her in one hand.
This might be old news to some of you but I have had snakes sense the 1960s and never heard that trick.
20190904_130716~01.jpg

Old 09-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Interesting! I've always done the corn snake treadmill for wiggly ones. You guide their head to your other hand until they're in sort of a figure eight. They keep moving, but they don't go anywhere!

Old 09-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
SnakeCreations
Sweet! No matter how much you know, there is always much to learn! Thanks for the tip.

-Tonya

Old 09-05-2019, 10:01 PM   #4
Frank Pinello
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that out on some of my wigglers.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:23 AM   #5
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I tried hanging her every day except after feeding.
I would guess that if someone tried to hang me every day, I would probably be pretty hard to hold onto too!

Seriously, interesting tip you are sharing. I would have never thought of trying that.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
Pine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I would guess that if someone tried to hang me every day, I would probably be pretty hard to hold onto too!

Seriously, interesting tip you are sharing. I would have never thought of trying that.
That's an example of what a smartphone can do for you.
Was supposed to be HANDLING.
This is the first site I have been on that you can't fix a post when that happens.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
That's an example of what a smartphone can do for you.
Was supposed to be HANDLING.
This is the first site I have been on that you can't fix a post when that happens.
It's a perk for contributing memberships! There are a couple of words my phone never seems to get right!

Old 09-09-2019, 12:13 AM   #8
albertagirl
I was wondering about the hanging!

That's a cool tip! I have found walking has a similar effect over standing still, but in a small room there's only so much walking you can do. This is much easier, I will be trying it for sure! I'm wondering if it also works on snakes that are totally calm, but just really want to be going places?

I saw an interesting video on YouTube from NERD about handling retics, which I'm sure would work on any snake. He kinda twirls with them (slowly). The video is called
"How to handle a LARGE DEFENSIVE SNAKE - Avoid A Snake Bite + Wrap" I found the technique interesting. I would assume this works in a similar way, but since the snake is smaller, only requires the movement of one arm?

Old 11-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
Averysmom
Cool I’m going to try this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #10
DeuceRon
Great tip! Also, try putting something fun in the viv for it to climb on. I use those green bendable vines and hot glue plastic foliage to them as they come bare.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google