• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Husbandry and Basic Care FAQ

Hi. This FAQ is great and helped me out no end being a snake first timer. I've come across Brumation in other threads, is this kind of hibernation necessary? or will it only happen if the temp. falls too low? Thanx

Thanks for your hard work Joejr14 and every one on CS.com.

as a new corn owner, this thread HELPED me a lot!!

thanks again ! :santa:

how much do the babies eat?

how would we know how much to feed them meaning how do you know if they are still hungry or not?

there are a few ways you can tell but some must be done by a vet. 1:look at the tail and if it narrows off quik it can be a female; males will have thick ones for there reproductive organs females only have a scent gland 2:popping then requires a know how but is eccentially rubbhing their vent and pushing behind it males will have a bigger flap that protrudes but be careful this could hurt your snake 3:probing THIS MUST BE DONE BY A PROFFESIONAL!!!! using a probe to go into the vent and then measuring how much went in

I talked to a breeder about setting up my new 40gal tank. He said i didnt need a heat pad and could use a Heatlamp with a 100w light. Do you think this is okay? Thanks,

B

It's "OK", but it's not the best. It dries the tank out and can be a fire hazard, not to mention snakes don't like light, so you have less chance of seeing him out. A properly regulated UTH is better. A 40 gal tank is pretty big too. The snake can live in a 20 long his whole life, but if you decide to go with the 40, make sure you provide lots and lots of hiding places and fake plants.

Thanks it's my grand sons I'm going to go get a pinkie and put cage on floor Friday is feed day maybe it will come back to feed. I hope

I am looking for information on changes in eating, activity, etc. during the pre and active shed cycle. I will search the forum, but it might be nice to have it here as well.

Why are insects bad for snakes?

Hi, you posted this in the FAQ (frequently asked questions) area which is not really meant for posting, our wonderful moderators have put this section together so those who are new to the addiction of corns can find some answers.

I would repost this question in the "Feeders" topic, you will get answers there.

(But as a side note, rodents are their favorite prey, they provide the necessary nutrients that insects cannot.)

Hi, i just set up my zoomed starter snake kit. Heat pad is a one end heat lamp above it. Aspen bedding a hiddy hut plant and water dish spread around. Temp was ok til i turned off the lamp tonight then the temp dropped to 65. Any ideas to maintain heat at night but maintain the day/night cycles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also... My corn loves burrowing in the aspen. When i moved the bedding looking for him the bottom of the tank was really hot from the heater pad. How do i stop my snake from being burnt?

Also... My corn loves burrowing in the aspen. When i moved the bedding looking for him the bottom of the tank was really hot from the heater pad. How do i stop my snake from being burnt?

Hi, you posted this in the FAQ (frequently asked questions) area which is not really meant for posting, our wonderful moderators have put this section together so those who are new to the addiction of corns can find some answers without having to post them.

But as long as you are here, you need to do a lot of reading to get a better setup for your new kiddo. Here is a sheet with links I made for another member, it will help you get started. (And start by ditching the lamp, they are not good for corns, and the temp should be the same 24/7!) help sheet

Good luck, and if you have any other questions, find the best topic for your query and post it there, you will get a lot more advice.

Back