CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

handling a potentially blind snake?

Old 06-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #11
Karl_Mcknight
When Rufus was young, he would squirm and try to get away when I would reach my hand into his cage. He even rattled his tail at me once.

So I started tapping on his cage a few times before entering to let him know I was Coming in. (I still do this today and I've had him about 2-1/2 years now.) They can feel the vibrations and hear the thump. Some folks think snakes can't hear. I'm not sure how much and what they can and can not, but I know if I yell or laugh or make some sort of loud noise, Rufus will turn and look at me.

Anyway, after several years of hanging out together, I can reach into his cage now and he doesn't even move. I just pick him right up. Usually when I walk into the room if he's out cruising his cage he will actually come to the door and look at me. When I open the door he will most times crawl right into my hands.

The only times I have to reach inside his cage is if he's in his Hide, or if I need to do some cleaning.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:40 AM   #12
beyourownspotlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
When Rufus was young, he would squirm and try to get away when I would reach my hand into his cage. He even rattled his tail at me once.

So I started tapping on his cage a few times before entering to let him know I was Coming in. (I still do this today and I've had him about 2-1/2 years now.) They can feel the vibrations and hear the thump. Some folks think snakes can't hear. I'm not sure how much and what they can and can not, but I know if I yell or laugh or make some sort of loud noise, Rufus will turn and look at me.

Anyway, after several years of hanging out together, I can reach into his cage now and he doesn't even move. I just pick him right up. Usually when I walk into the room if he's out cruising his cage he will actually come to the door and look at me. When I open the door he will most times crawl right into my hands.

The only times I have to reach inside his cage is if he's in his Hide, or if I need to do some cleaning.
I hope we can get close to that level hahaha. I speak to him, when I open the doors of the viv, I've tried lots of wee bits and bobs. I just want this to be as stressfree for him, I feel like he's not had the best humans in his life before now (I don't think he was ever abused on purpose, more just not wanted??)

Old 06-19-2017, 03:54 AM   #13
DLena
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyourownspotlight View Post
I feel like he's not had the best humans in his life before now (I don't think he was ever abused on purpose, more just not wanted??)
I think you're correct on this. He didn't learn how that be a real pet/family member. Some people say snakes don't care...but look at Rufus, Cleo, Mandy, Clyde, Loopy...they aren't "just snakes"
That kind of relationship takes time to build familiarity and trust.
You seem like the kind of person who can give that to your snake baby.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #14
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLena View Post
I think you're correct on this. He didn't learn how that be a real pet/family member. Some people say snakes don't care...but look at Rufus, Cleo, Mandy, Clyde, Loopy...they aren't "just snakes"
Neither are yours "just snakes", DLena, that's for sure. They definitely are beloved companions.

Which reminds me, time to go spend some quality time with the girls. Happy to report Clyde has a full tummy and so is "indisposed".

Old 06-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #15
beyourownspotlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLena View Post
Aw, thankyou.
I know I'm capable of having that relationship, I've done it with my rats, and my lizard (I don't currently own rats, that was a few years ago. I do currently have my lizard though--- she is the biggest cuddle bug ever).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
albino, blind snake