CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Somewhat inconsistent UTH temp? Or thermostat issue?

Old 06-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #11
LadyJemima
Heat guns aside, I guess I still don't understand what is making the temperature vary so much. When I got up, the warm side read 84.5. An hour later, it was 88. Another hour later, it was back to 84. What is causing this temperature flux where the sensors are placed? (Currently placed on inside of tank, against bottom, under the aspen. I don't get what variables are making the temps fluctuate. It happens sometimes on the cool side but seemingly more on the warm side.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #12
Karl_Mcknight
that's normal. It's ok.

A thermostat cuts the heat pad on and off. But the moment the pad is cut off, the temp will still creep up a bit. And then when the thermostat cuts the Pad back on, the temp will still drift down a bit. It takes a few minutes for the pad to heat up or cool down. Your thermostat will not keep it on an exact number unless you're willing to spend about 200 bucks for that "Pulse type" thermostat. Most of the cheapies like you and the rest of us use drift a bit. It's ok. Don't worry about it.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #13
LadyJemima
Ok. Just making sure I didn't need to return two $30 thermostats. Thanks Karl.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #14
DollysMom
Karl, it won't let me give you any more reputation right now, but thanks for that excellent explanation of the thermostat.

I don't read my thermostats (except to glance that they are operating as they should), only my thermometers. Following the thermostats will drive you crazy. If your thermometer is reading too cold or too hot adjust the thermostat up or down a degree at a time.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #15
LadyJemima
I agree, I finally stumbled on a similar article online about thermostats doing the "cutting on, cutting off" thing in relation to temperature variation, and it finally made me understand what was happening. I seem to have them stabilized now and have also moved the hides directly over the probes.

Dolly, I actually like reading the thermostat probe temp because it gives me comfort that the Zoo Med digital thermometers are working. Quite often the thermostat and the thermometer are within a tenth of a degree of each other. Nice to double-check.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google