CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Oh geez -- is Ruby going to shed??

Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #21
LadyJemima
Also -- she is super active right now. Climbing up a new vine and hanging out there. Are snakes typically active after a shed (i.e. being cooped up for days hiding)?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:55 PM   #22
Karl_Mcknight
the shed is almost always longer than the snake actually is because the skin stretches. If the shed is 32 inches long, more than likely she is actually about 3 inches shorter.

Congratulations on the process. Make sure the tail tip is there too. Sometimes a bit of the tail sticks and people can miss it. If the tail tip remains, you'll have to take care of it yourself.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:13 AM   #23
DollysMom
Yep, they leave the hide to find something to shed on. Congrats. Many keepers never catch a shed in progress. I've only seen one in total though I've seen a few 75%'rs.

It is exciting. I never tire of the shed cycle. It is a wonderful part of snake keeping. Welcome to the shed club!

Old 06-28-2017, 06:24 AM   #24
Patmart
What do i need to make a humid hide ? I might be doing it without knowing
Pat x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #25
DollysMom
Hi Patmart! Right section but you need to start your own thread. To do that go to the main page for "Husbandry and Basic Care" and look for the blue "new thread" button on the upper left.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #26
LadyJemima
Quote:
Congratulations on the process. Make sure the tail tip is there too. Sometimes a bit of the tail sticks and people can miss it. If the tail tip remains, you'll have to take care of it yourself.
About 30 minutes after the shed I tried to pick her up to check her tail, and she struck at me. I did some reading after that and some people recommend waiting 24-48 hours after a shed to handle.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #27
Karl_Mcknight
yes, it depends on the snake. My snake, Rufus , doesn't really care that much. I can usually handle him right away.

You should be able to look at the shed skin though and tell if the tip is there or not.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #28
LadyJemima
The tip is there

Old 06-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #29
Scrappyeddie77
Measuring the shed will not tell you how long she is. When they shed they stretch out the skin.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #30
Scrappyeddie77
I want to see the new colors take a pic or two please

I like to see the changes of colors in mine and they are always so bright after shed

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google