CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

What brand of thermostat do you use?

Old 07-06-2017, 07:01 AM   #1
LadyJemima
What brand of thermostat do you use?

I bought Jump Start and have not been happy with them from the start. I've had them for three weeks and they do NOT display the correct temperature (have to use a ZooMed thermometer). Last night I went to check on the viv (as I do every morning and evening) and one was set to 80. I noticed the ZooMed was reading 88. As I watched, the ZooMed climbed all the way to 95 before I freaked out and unplugged it. I think it cut out. Anyway...thinking of switching. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
MysticExotics
I currently do ambient heat, with an oil core radiant heater in the center of the room below a ceiling fan, and have a piggy back setup with two thermostats, one is a Johnson Control.
If I were to buy a thermostat now, I'd go with Herpstat, hands down.
I know people that use seed mat thermostats with good results.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
DollysMom
LadyJemima, sorry to hear your thermostat problems. Either you got a defective unit or your probe is not placed in a way that it's controlling your mat. Just a reminder, ignore your thermostat number and use the thermometer reading. However if you thermostat is set to 80 and your thermometer is 88 and going up something does seem wrong to me. Usually I have to set my thermostat higher than the temp I want (set 91 to get 86 for example) Also check your thermometer probe placement. It helps to doublecheck eveything with a temp gun. Best wishes.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
I use a Herpstat 2 made by Spyder Robotics. (Link Below)

I use 2 heat pads under my cage and this 1 thermostat controls both of them. It is a little more in price than some of the cheaper models.

http://www.spyderrobotics.com/index....products_id=33

Old 07-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #5
LadyJemima
Holy smokes, Herpstat is expensive. I'll stick with Jump Start for now and keep a close eye on them.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Dragonling
I've got a JumpStart on a 10-high rack that I have to keep on a lower setting to keep normal temps. When I first set it to around 84, I measured the tape at about 97...oof. Fortunately it seems to stay pretty steady, just thinks it's cooler than it is, so tub temps have remained consistent. I'll eventually switch this and the 6-high to either a couple VE-200 or a Herpstat 2. I think JumpStarts are better for single cages.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
LadyJemima
Quote:
Fortunately it seems to stay pretty steady, just thinks it's cooler than it is,
Same. Mine are reading about 2-4 degrees lower than the ZooMed thermometers. I'll probably pick up an infrared temp gun at an upcoming herp show.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #8
Karl_Mcknight
you don't have to visit a herp show to get an infrared temp gun. You can get them at any hardware store, Lowes or Home Depot, even at walmart.

I'm enclosing a picture of the 2 I have. The one on the Left I got at PetsMart, and the one on the right I got at Home Depot. Both are very accurate. And both were about 30 bucks each, if I remember correctly.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
Twolunger
I've had the same Ranco temperature controller for at least 15 years. It came prewired with a power cord, probe, and a 6 outlet plug-in bar. I've had 4 rack systems with Flexwatt heat tape plugged into it with no problems. If I want less heat going to a specific rack I use a rheostat plugged in for that one. Don't ask where I got it, I only remember ordering it online. Since I know Murphy's Law can rear its ugly head, I use two digital thermometers to monitor temps, and one I got from ThermoWorks has a high and low alarm.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google