CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

The Reputation System is gone.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #21
starwarsdad
Good riddance.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #22
Serpwidgets
I think if there were a nominal one-time fee for membership, say $5-$10, it would probably eliminate a lot of the trolls who just keep creating new accounts every time they get mad because someone disagreed with them and they want to start a flame war.

For example, John Pilling (cornman1979) has several accounts here. Seems like he creates a new one whenever he goes on a rampage of hatred, which is at about the same time every month. One of those accounts he is still actively posting with, even today, even though he thinks nobody here knows who he is.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:24 PM   #23
JTGoff69
While I have to say I'm not that sorry to see the rep points go (except that it WAS valuable for newbies), I do have to say that I'm upset about the general mood and tone of the forum for the last week. Everyone seems to be lashing out at each other. I used to love coming on and reading everyone's posts and usually got a good laugh. Lately, it does nothing but make me sad. I'm going to stay away for a week or so, and hopefully the fun, caring, and friendship will find it's way back in.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:50 PM   #24
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
I think if there were a nominal one-time fee for membership, say $5-$10, it would probably eliminate a lot of the trolls who just keep creating new accounts every time they get mad because someone disagreed with them and they want to start a flame war.

For example, John Pilling (cornman1979) has several accounts here. Seems like he creates a new one whenever he goes on a rampage of hatred, which is at about the same time every month. One of those accounts he is still actively posting with, even today, even though he thinks nobody here knows who he is.
Jeeze Louise! That's all I would need to do. I'm allready getting lots of flak from some people for my deciding to charge for some functions on FaunaClassifieds. This would just be the icing to the cake, for sure. I would have to have OVERWHELMING evidence that most of the people here would want that to happen. I mean REALLY overwhelming..........

Old 03-04-2005, 11:11 PM   #25
CAV
Rich, what about "read only" until you pony up to the bar??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGoff69
I do have to say that I'm upset about the general mood and tone of the forum for the last week. Everyone seems to be lashing out at each other. I used to love coming on and reading everyone's posts and usually got a good laugh. Lately, it does nothing but make me sad. I'm going to stay away for a week or so, and hopefully the fun, caring, and friendship will find it's way back in.
You just pull up a chair next to old Cav in the Grotto....

"It won't get wierd Mama!" - Dr. Evil

Old 03-04-2005, 11:13 PM   #26
Drizzt80
Personally disappointed to see that the rep points disappeared as I logged on this evening. I personally appreciated the pats on the back for some of the things I posted over the past couple of months, and truly felt that it was, or should be, a help to honest newbies looking for accurate information. Is there a way to not have the rep points linked to the number of posts, and only feed back given by other members? Is there a way to have the feedback visible to other members when looking at their user info? I think it could be a valuable system if we brainstorm solutions (That is if we thought it was actually valuable) instead of complain about the situation that brought this about . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGoff69
. . . (except that it WAS valuable for newbies), I do have to say that I'm upset about the general mood and tone of the forum for the last week. Everyone seems to be lashing out at each other. I used to love coming on and reading everyone's posts and usually got a good laugh. Lately, it does nothing but make me sad. I'm going to stay away for a week or so, and hopefully the fun, caring, and friendship will find it's way back in.
As for the attitude around here, I've personally missed it completely, didn't know things were heating up until I read about the rep points and cornman fiasco's. But then I treat the posts like I treat my feeders and my snakes, I cull out the ones that I don't want to keep. I use the 'New Posts' function, read through the list, and open the threads that seem interesting to me personally or ones that I may be able to add to or help in. I ignore the ones that look like they may be senseless, uninteresting, or just not worth my time currently. Then I hit quicklinks and Mark Forums Read. Next time I come back, I only get the stuff that's been posted lately. I might be missing some good stuff, seems like I already have , but on the other hand, I also don't have the time to read each and every post that goes up every day.

Just my two cents!
D80

Old 03-05-2005, 01:21 AM   #27
Rich Z
I can set it up so that everyone can ONLY post positive reputation points, if you want. Puts it in a manner of "if you can't say something nice about someone's posts, don't say anything at all". The reputation system was not deleted, it was just removed from view and usage. But the cretins using it as a spiteful weapon that I had to clean up afterwards got tiresome.

Old 03-05-2005, 02:08 AM   #28
DdotSpot
That doesn't sound like a bad plan. You are doing a great job either way.

Thanks Rich

Daniel

Old 03-05-2005, 10:03 AM   #29
Missy
ooh yeah that does sound like a great idea.
and i agree with Daniel, you are doing a great job here.
my mum always used to say that phrase to me too.
i believe in it.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:07 AM   #30
thelyonsking
Just an idea- Is it possible that only contributors could give feedback? That would allow anyone to post, but only those who are devoted enought to contribute to give rep points.

P.S. How soon do you get a contibutor icon after contributing?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google