CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Cold Side

Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Jester37
Cold Side

Have another couple of questions as we experiment with viv setup before getting our snake:

1) The temperature at night in our house drops to as low as 66 degrees. I know this is on the borderline low end for corn snake levels. Is that ok, or does it make sense to get like a space heater or something to warm the room a bit during those times?

2) Also, do corn snakes become even MORE shy and stressed if there is a family pet, particularly a large dog, roaming around the tank for a large chunk of time?

Thank you again in advance!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Shaggy
I know there's a lot more experienced people out there, so they may have something to add, but one thing to ask is what have you done for the hot side?
If you have an undertank heater, or some other good heat source also available at night, I don't think the snake will suffer.
In their natural range, nightly lows can easily drop below the 60's

As for the dog, I think a snake would be very nervous with a big dog hanging around, certainly at first, but, just like having people hanging around, the snake should adapt and adjust. I'm curious to see how your dog reacts. If the dog doesn't pay it any attention, things should go even better.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Jester37
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have a UTH with the cheap Zilla thermostat which so far seems to be keeping the hot side between 84-89 degrees. Will still probably get the hydrofarm though as reviews state they are more durable and overall better.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
smigon
Your temps are good, just watch where your snake likes to be best, you will know where you need to keep the temps at. If he doesn't like the hot side, it is probably too hot.

Snakes are naturally wary of anything bigger than themselves, and if the dog is constantly pestering the snake cage I wouldn't keep them together. It would definitely stress the snake out. If the dog just walks by with no reaction, it will be fine, the snake will get used to it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google