CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Chat room - listen up, please
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #81
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornCrazy
I guess I sort of fit into this category, as well. As soon as things started to get rough, I backed out. I wanted no part of it and would not have said anything that rude to anyone. I have on occasion, however, laughed at some of the things that have been said. I was wrong for doing that...

Great point Carol. If I could give you some rep points, I would.
Got ya covered, Terri. Great post, Carol!

I've been accused of "running and hiding under Rich" for the stance I've taken here - as the logs show, I participated and took it to a point which I now regret. I don't justify the actions of Joe_jo or Clarinet, and what most don't realized is that the best way to change chat is to change yourself, not try to have Rich change the system or access.

regards,
jazz

Old 09-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #82
Serpwidgets
A few people have mentioned their distaste for "cliquey" stuff, so I am curious to see what they think of the linked thread...

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40428

Old 09-12-2006, 03:55 PM   #83
Vinman
Connie no that was not it, when it comes to computers and the internet it is all new to me. I'm a nature boy. Hate all this tec stuff. So I had no Idea how to get on I figured it out though today. Thanx anyway. It was nice of you. Remember a group of friends is a clique. When I was in my 20's I hung out in a huge crowd . Any where from 25 to over a 100 people any time on any given night. We were all friends but there were little groups of people that were a little more tighter with eachother. This is what a clique is . Even though you are all friends there are cliques with in that group. the cliques do exist here as they do everywhere in your life.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:16 PM   #84
Candachan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
A few people have mentioned their distaste for "cliquey" stuff, so I am curious to see what they think of the linked thread...

I don't see how a clique is a bad thing. I love being able to go into chat and have people know my name and remember my animals and genuinely care. Of course, new people don't get this treatment, because we don't know them yet! But I really don't think there is any secret handshake going on in there.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #85
Eremita
Hey folks!

Please don't tick Rich off so much that he kills the chat room. I go there occasionally - maybe five or six times so far - and while I may not be chums with anyone yet, it seems like a decent thing.

I know historically I've been sympathetic to hostile established folks saying less-than-pleasant things to posts that fail to pass a certain quality bar, but my understanding when I got an account here was that there would be some standards of decency expected. That transcript does not meet those standards, imho, and my interpretation of this thread is that most people agree.

But, if everyone opens up some secret off-site chat, please p.m. me or something so I know about it. I have a corn snake now, and no tortoises or boas.

-Sean

Old 09-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #86
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets

OK, I may be "stirring a turd" here, but since the link to Yahoo points to something that's more of a forum than a chat, I think the parameters, and thus the dynamic, are different. I see it as no different when someone here on the forums posts "What do mites look like?", and I respond with a .jpg of the cartoon character "The Tick" as an attempt at a lighthearted, albeit smart-aleck, response. No harm, no foul.

Given the "chat-speak" formulation of the question, the originator of the Yahoo forum thread, at first impression, is a n00b who hasn't done their homework. With that kind of "strike against them", sure, the responses are somewhat sarcastic in tone, and I have no problem with that. I don't think there's a "clique" style response going on there.

In cornsnake chat, I see more of the herd mentality, and thus, the impression of "clique-i-ness", either from our posts after the person with the question leaves out of frustration when they're not getting the response they're looking for (and more often than not is looking for validation of a pre-determined course of action, anyway), or recently, when one of US, out of frustration, creates a new room where the questioner is repeatedly booted.

They may be idjuts at times, but if I were on the receiving end of that kind of group dynamic, I'd think "clique" myself.

regards,
jazz

Old 09-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #87
hana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
I'm sorry, but what exactly gives you that impression? These were my last responses to Carlos just last night . . .
I'm honestly sorry. I didn't read through them well enough this morning before I posted. I guess that's what I get for replying at 7:45 in the morning.

Regardless of what others say, I will continue to hold to my standard, if after repeatedly telling you to leave me alone and you don't, you'll get the sharp side of my tongue. Which doesn't include 'gtfo', my vocabulary is too advanced for that.

hana

Old 09-12-2006, 05:58 PM   #88
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek
OK, I may be "stirring a turd" here, but since the link to Yahoo points to something that's more of a forum than a chat, I think the parameters, and thus the dynamic, are different. I see it as no different when someone here on the forums posts "What do mites look like?", and I respond with a .jpg of the cartoon character "The Tick" as an attempt at a lighthearted, albeit smart-aleck, response. No harm, no foul.
No, what I'm talking about is the complaints that people discuss a thread in chat, together and where the other poster doesn't see it, and then some of them that were dicsussing it will go post in the thread, and are accused of "ganging up" on someone.

That is exactly what is happening here, they "discuss that thread on this board, together and where the other poster doesn't see it, and then some of them that were dicsussing it will go post in the thread."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek
In cornsnake chat, I see more of the herd mentality, and thus, the impression of "clique-i-ness", either from our posts after the person with the question leaves out of frustration when they're not getting the response they're looking for (and more often than not is looking for validation of a pre-determined course of action, anyway), or recently, when one of US, out of frustration, creates a new room where the questioner is repeatedly booted.
This is just ridiculous. So basically the options are:

1- I sit in the open chatroom and listen to you feed the troll for an hour.

2- I put the troll on ignore and listen to you not make any sense for an hour.

3- I put both you AND the troll on ignore and then listen to other people in the room responding to things that don't make sense for an hour. And I consider that rude because I do think of you as a friend and you might have something relevant to say to me.

4- I go create a room where the troll gets booted when they come in. (Then Dale says "you are lemmings")

5- I go create a password-protected room where the troll can't get in. (Then Dale says "you are elitist lemmings.")

There is no winning option here. Either we get away from the troll, or listen to them for an hour. And no matter what anyone does, Dale has a name to call them. It's totally lame.

So tell me, Dale, what option are we to take where we are not plagued by trolls and we are not being mean/elitist/lemmings?

Old 09-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #89
CARattler40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman
So I want carlos to know I had no idea the he was trying to talk to me. so tell him I was not ingnoring him
It's no problem at all, Vinny. I actually thought you'd clicked the link by accident or something rather than gone in there to chat, but it was worth a "Hi Vinny."

Old 09-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #90
Roy Munson
Sorry Rich et al., but this thread is much ado about nothing. If I were (and I deliberately chose that word over 'was') to tell a troll to "gtfo" in chat, I don't think it reflects negatively on Rich Z.. If it did, then the "back to the Wild West" atmosphere of today's B.O.I. would be a much bigger black eye to Serpenco than four minutes of chat could ever be. I mean, those ridiculous, mean-spirited, and filth-riddled threads are there indefinitely for all to see, at any time. I understand why you (Rich) decided to take that direction with the B.O.I.. I don't understand why silly chat would be held to a higher standard.

I read the B.O.I. very regularly. I'm really only interested in corns and kings. 98+% of B.O.I threads are about other herps. Why do I read these threads? Because they're entertaining. But the purpose of the B.O.I. isn't entertainment. What is chat's purpose? In my opinion it is supposed to be nearly 100% entertainment. So if ridiculous, mean-spirited, filth-riddled entertainment is cool for the purposeful B.O.I., why is it taboo in silly corn chat?

Isn't this community thriving and growing in a way that Fauna could only hope for? I'm no Fauna hater or basher; I contribute there monetarily too, despite my relative lack of participation. But cornsnakes.com must be doing something right.

This isn't a challenge in any way-- just an expression of opinion...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread