CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

when do you feed your corn?

Old 04-20-2003, 05:47 AM   #1
Ferry
when do you feed your corn?

Hello,
When do you feed your corn??
And what?
And how much?
A live or dead?

Please help me?

Old 04-20-2003, 09:47 AM   #2
Wa$ted
hello

i feed it depending on its size,,,,
i feed it every 5 days ,,others feed it twice every 7 days

they eat MICE

how much depends on the size of the snake

you have to mention more information ,,,size of your snake

dead,,,,,,much safer

Old 04-20-2003, 09:55 AM   #3
Canadain Eh?
My snake is just a baby hatchling 'bout 4 months old. I feed it once a week. In a month I feed it 2 pinkies the first week. Then 1 pinkie the rest of the week.
DEAD.

Old 04-20-2003, 11:14 AM   #4
Skye
All our corns are adults.
We only feed them frozen/thawed adult mice.
We usually follow a 5 or 6 day feeding schedule.
We usually feed them in the evenings (when they would naturally be out hunting in the wild).
How many mice they get depends on their gender, and the time of year, e.g. females fattening up after brumation for breeding get offered more.
Skye

Old 04-20-2003, 11:23 AM   #5
sumguy
feeding

once or twice a week. only had 1month. can't remember size when I bought (came in deli cup). it's about 17+in now always eats, never rejects or regurges.
3/22 1 pinkie
3/26 1 pinkie
4/8 2 pinkies
4/13 1 sm fuzzy
4/19 3 pinkies.
The fuzzy slowed him down for 3 days solid. 1 or 2 pinkies and he's out 2 days later. only concern is no signs of shedding yet.
btw - always frozen/thawed.

Old 04-21-2003, 03:36 PM   #6
CowBoyWay
There is a Search feature here...

...that by using keywords, will answer ones questions many times, with some reading, without having to wait for answers to likely/ probably already been asked many times basic care question(s).

Quote:
When do you feed your corn??
And what?
And how much?
A live or dead?
Please help me?
By your questions you need to be reading several care sheets NOW, before its to late for your captive.
You sound like you want to do the right thing, but first you have to know what the right thing to do is.
http://www.kingsnake.com/rockymounta...Hnewpage11.htm
http://www.cornsnake.net/new/care.php3
90% of health care problems in reptiles
are improper (husbandry) care related.

Also, if you would care to do a www.google.com search for "Corn Snake Care" or some variation of that theme , many basic care "sheets" should pop up for you.
If you happen to see one that says they eat crickets, that ones just plain wrong regarding that aspect of there diet. They like mice, mice, and more mice basically.

Hatchling corn snakes begin eating pinky mice, and progress up to adult mice once they are mature. Mice bought frozen and completely thawed out as needed is the safest and most convenient way to go.
A good rule of thumb, if your new to all this, is to feed the snake a food item that is the same, or close to, the snake's diameter.
Feed an item that is too large, and the snake will often regurgitate it. Snakes will also regurgitate if they do not have a warm area or if they are handled too soon after they eat.
Corn snakes can be fed two times a week, but once is usually enough. Clean water should be available at all times, corn snakes drink often.

Anything you don't understand, please be sure to ask after doing some
"basic 101 " care sheet reading.
Specific questions will get you specific answers many times and broad general questions will get a broad general answer, if at all.

Cornsnakes will do well in almost any container, provided it is big enough. Baby cornsnakes will do well in a 5 or 10 gallon tank. Always MAKE SURE IT IS ESCAPE-PROOF!!!
There are five basic things a new cornsnake keeper needs in the Corns "house" ;
-A secure lid
-A hide box
-A clean water dish
-Bedding
-Stable temperature

So, did you get that Corn Snake some dinner?

Old 04-22-2003, 02:15 AM   #7
blito
good advice there

my snake is about 9 months old and some 24" long.
i feed it on a 7-10 day cycle, 3 frozen/thawed pinkie mice at a time. I tend to put paper towling in the tank and place the pinkies on that to prevent the snake ingesting the substrate.
digestion takes about 3 or 4 days.

Old 04-22-2003, 12:39 PM   #8
wolfman38
I feed my 8 month old 22 inch long every Monday night about one hour or so before sunset (which happens to be when I am cooking supper for me). I am currently feeding him 2 pinkies, but will try a fuzzy nest week. They are f/t mice.

Old 04-22-2003, 02:07 PM   #9
blito
do you really think it will take a fuzzy yet?
i looked into it for Chione and decided that the fuzzy would just that little to big for her head to get round so i upped the feed to 3 pinkies at a time till she gets bigger

Old 04-22-2003, 03:29 PM   #10
Wa$ted
what the???

my snake is 25 inches and it eats semi adults

i swear 2 pinkies wont leave a lump on it

and its not humungous,,its size is normal

what do you mean oh should i move it to fuzzies,,,, ill post a pic real soon

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google