CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

A little rant on courtesy and professionalism

Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
ghosthousecorns
A little rant on courtesy and professionalism

Okay when I first joined up in 04 I was kind of a newby and I know I made my share of dumb posts. So in the almost five years I have lived and learned and kind of grown. My breeding operation has grown, my sales have picked up a bit each year, my collection is much bigger than it once was. I am sure if I went back and read some of the stuff I posted when I was first starting out it would make me cringe.
Maybe it's asking too much, but I feel as if you kind of have to pay your dues and it takes time to make a name for yourself. Even if you don't plan to sell snakes but only keep them, are you that qualified to give advice when you are new to the game? Is it too much to ask that when someone who clearly has been doing this for a long time, makes a post they get the bit of respect and courtesy they have earned? If you read something in a book or a pet store owner tells you it's true but someone like Kathy Love is saying something different, could it possibly be that they know better? Is it really necessary to be belligerent and challenge them?
Oh and that professionalism should work both ways. If you see a newby getting hammered for some wrong doing, is it always necessary to jump on the bandwagon? I assure you plenty of people will be along to berate them for their cohabbing or whatever mistake they made. Just because you have been around a while does not make you such a better person, you most likely made the same mistakes and someone set you straight. Always remember they could be your next customer.
It just gets so frustrating sometimes to read some of what goes on in this forum, maybe it is the winter cabin fever thing but lately it seems like there's been a lot of this kind of thing. End of rant.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Nanci
I'm guilty recently of asking a new member to provide a source of a reputable breeder recommending a feeding schedule of three days, but before he could do so, I found it myself in Kathy Love's care sheet. I made my post disappear!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
wade
I have noticed that too Jen, and been guilty of that as well. I read a post last week where a newbe was asking a silly question and got answers from 4 or 5 people who were all newbes themselves. I tried to set them straight and pretty much got told they didn’t need my help. OK….

On the flip side, I love to have a good argument. Sometimes I think I am guilty of piling on. Sometimes I twist the knife that others have inserted. I’ll try to be more aware of that.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
ArpeggioAngel
After three years, I can consider myself fairly knowledgeable in the care and keeping of colubrid species. I have spent my time learning all I can from everyone and anyone who has had more experience than myself.

But even with all the knowledge I have gained, I still consider myself a novice in the field and try to avoid posting much advice, preferring to leave it to those who have been doing this far longer than I have.

I find it extremely rude when those who have no clue what they are doing get up in arms when someone who obviously knows more than they do posts the correct information. I would think it would be common sense to listen to the advice of the people who have been around the block a few times and know what they are talking about - but in this day and age - it doesn't seem to matter what you are talking about - there is always someone who "thinks" they know it all with no experience whatsoever.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
wade
The problem with people who think they know everything is that they are really annoying to those of us who do.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
ghosthousecorns
LOL at least it is not just me. After posting I got to thinking maybe it is not THAT bad, but maybe it is if others have noticed.
I have jumped on many a "noob-bashing" dog pile but I have really been trying to just stay out of them.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
The problem with people who think they know everything is that they are really annoying to those of us who do.
I have to agree! Yes, you...er...I mean...THEY are annoying!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
Tom Tuttle
I try really hard not to bash newbies. Sometimes it's really difficult!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
I am sure if I went back and read some of the stuff I posted when I was first starting out it would make me cringe.
I have and I do!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
On the flip side, I love to have a good argument. Sometimes I think I am guilty of piling on. Sometimes I twist the knife that others have inserted. I’ll try to be more aware of that.
Sometimes the situation requires it. Of course it's a judgement call of time and place and topic. Anything with the vinster garners extra attention . . .

On a more cereal note, one thing I started doing long ago is presenting my suggestions as "This is what I do . . ." or "This has worked for me . . . " If they want to bash back against that, more power to 'em, but it's going to be zero skin off my back. (I did feed every 3-4 days once upon a time. I don't any longer as it hasn't proven to make a difference to me.)

I'll shut up now so Wayne can get a word in edgewise, and backwards, and over the top.

D80

Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
stephen
LOL

Well,been doing a long time and I stay open to learn new stuff. I dont like to reply to alot of threads where people are asking for help cause, every time I have, they didnt listen anyway. I am amazed by some of the replys I have read by people who are school teachers and others. I guess alot do post stuff out of anger and dont even think about what they wrote and how it will affect things , I try not to. I have noticed some of the more seasoned breeders avoiding this though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google