CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

A little rant on courtesy and professionalism

Old 02-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #61
KJUN
I have a ~20 year old snapping turtle that looks great and extremelt healthy unitl you know he's pver 20 years old....lol. perfect, only small. I'd have to measure him, but he's only about 7" carapace length. Why, well...I followed the books. There was alomsot NOTHING available that long ago (no internet available) - especially in small town libraries. The only book I ever found said to feed them 2-3 "turtle food sticks" twice a week. Hmmm, can yiou say STUNTED? Duh. Oh, well. Now, he's too fat because I give him mice almost to satiation 1-2 times per week. He's fat for a snapping turtle, but I've convinced myself that he's unlikely to ever get much bigger. Oh, well...still a cool pet!

Old 02-07-2009, 02:00 AM   #62
bekers71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUN View Post
I have a ~20 year old snapping turtle that looks great and extremelt healthy unitl you know he's pver 20 years old....lol. perfect, only small. I'd have to measure him, but he's only about 7" carapace length. Why, well...I followed the books. There was alomsot NOTHING available that long ago (no internet available) - especially in small town libraries. The only book I ever found said to feed them 2-3 "turtle food sticks" twice a week. Hmmm, can yiou say STUNTED? Duh. Oh, well. Now, he's too fat because I give him mice almost to satiation 1-2 times per week. He's fat for a snapping turtle, but I've convinced myself that he's unlikely to ever get much bigger. Oh, well...still a cool pet!
Ummm....lost

Old 02-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #63
crackerhead
Hey Beck, I think KJ was referring to people getting slammed for older herp husbandry practices but newer brasher members. So not as lost as one might think...
Terri

Old 02-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #64
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekers71 View Post
Ummm....lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
Hey Beck, I think KJ was referring to people getting slammed for older herp husbandry practices but newer brasher members. So not as lost as one might think...
Terri
. . . or . . . also . . . the idea that husbandry practices one thought "law" weren't so much, or better knowledge has been gained.

D80

Old 02-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #65
bekers71
I wasn't saying KJ was lost..I was lost. For some reason after I posted that I kind of had an idea what he meant just never came back to fix my self.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #66
vetusvates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt80 View Post
. . . or . . . also . . . the idea that husbandry practices one thought "law" weren't so much or better knowledge has been gained.

D80
Yeah, I had a beautiful wild-caught grey rat snake that I caught in March in 1976 and kept until the summer of 1980 or 81. He was about 12" and beautiful when I caught him and about 36" and beautiful when I let him go (so should have been bigger, I would think). All I knew was to keep the cage (knew no "viv" word at the time) dry and clean, and keep fresh water there, and a hide. I knew what too skinny was, and he always looked plump enough to me. He always took food right out of my hand. I raised mice to feed him, and froze the surplus. He loved anoles, and birds eggs, mainly red winged blackbird eggs (those were treats that I brought him from "herping", didn't know that word either). He really, really loved bird eggs, went right for them. Swallowed them whole then crushed them from before and aft like a champ.
When one doesn't have a guide, one does the best one can.

NOTE : I do realize that this has only a tangential relation to the original post.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #67
KJUN
Oh, I can definitely be LOST....I was just agreeing with someone who was saying that we have done what we THOUGHT was best at the time....but is FUNNY to think was "known to be true" back then....lol. I think that's what I was saying. I just got back from NARBC, and I don't have time to go back and see which post I was replying to, but I THINK I was supporting someone else so they didn't look like the only one who tried with the best knowledge available at the time.....lol.
KJ

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google