• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Rep Points

But, Rich, now they can't keep blaming one person and use this as an excuse to use profanity about him. Shame on you for taking that from them.......lol.

Seriously, good luck!
KJ

Thanks for pointing that out KJ. Rich isn't taking anything from anyone. I was reprimanded for it. It's good we have you to look out for us. I'm glad you and Mike are happy. I'm sure you have notice that you are a very small minority.

Edit:
I just reread that. Geese KJ, you sound like a whiney third grader.

TBH this is the only site I use that only uses the rep system. (I use one site that has multiple Thanks, reps etc, it has about 5 different ways to reward people... Bells and whistles I hear you say>> LOL)
Most sites I use just have the abuse system, you don't agree you abuse the poster...
That system works after a fashion.... LOL

I have a political forum that used to be really active. We used a "kiss/spank" system. Spanks were coveted. It "could" be seen as a negative thing, but it basically means that you've been able to really bring forth a controversial issue resulting in a lot of hits. I pride myself on my spank number. :laugh:

Rich I have an idea how bout a thanks and groans system I saw it on another forum then newbs really see what a member is like!

Dave, in the early days of this site (WAY before my time), members were able to give negative rep. Apparently, it got WAY out of hand, and was removed as a function.
The Thanks/Groans work on the same basic principle as positive and negative rep. It's just another thing that would get abused. At least rep abuse is fun abuse.

Dave, in the early days of this site (WAY before my time), members were able to give negative rep.

Fauna stills allows it. Armslocker doesn't have ANY rep system. Looks like Rich uses the whole gambit from none, to + only, to +/- reps. I believe on fauna, only paid members can give negative "karma." I don't remember if non-paying members can give positive or not.

Well, I for one, am getting pretty sick and tired of all of this. Be fore-warned, my tolerance level is below zero and if I think any of the rules have even been lightly bent, I'm very apt to issue warnings and points. Rich, feel free to return my letters to red at any point. I already have 2 children to deal with. I don't need any more.

I still can't imagine caring about any of this. I liked to use rep as a lazy PM. As a mod, maybe I should be chastised for my abuse of a system that I never cared about and never cared about understanding in the first place. If I'm not presenting my views with the proper gravitas owed to the topic, then I should be removed. This is silly.

Maybe I should just zap all the reputation values back to zero and start afresh with the new algorithm I implemented. My programmer says it's not possible to just reduce the numbers proportionally (like by a factor of 10 or 100) without custom code, and quite honestly, I can't see where this is all worth that effort and expense anyway. Zapping back to zero, however, is EASY to do.....

Maybe I should just zap all the reputation values back to zero and start afresh with the new algorithm I implemented. My programmer says it's not possible to just reduce the numbers proportionally (like by a factor of 10 or 100) without custom code, and quite honestly, I can't see where this is all worth that effort and expense anyway. Zapping back to zero, however, is EASY to do.....

I'm game.

Let the zapping commence.....

Rich, I'm sure you'll do what you feel is necessary. I just wish some would realize it's just not that serious. We're not curing cancer here, they are just rep points. Someone having too many isn't going to destroy the world or detonate the entire East Coast. And not having alot doesn't mean you have some horrible communicable disease. Please can't we all just get along?

This thread got too long to read the entire thing. When I first joined this sight, I thought rep points actually meant something, but quite honestly, most of the people with the highest rep points aren't necessarily the most knowledgable I have learned. People I have seen contribute a great deal to this sight don't have nearly the rep points they should have IMO, such as Kathy Love for example, who at last time I saw was in the 4000's. So, with that said, IMO, rep points really mean absolutely nothing, because we can't see who got repped for what contribution anyways.

Take them back to zero, Rich. Be prepared to deal with the same whiners when the same people end up with more points than them with the new system.

I personally don’t care. I feel bad that this came about because of me being silly and others being (I’m sorry Susan, I can’t talk in complete sentences with the mood you’re in)

At the end of the day rep points mean next to nothing, it is a just a cool function on an internet forum.

Does it matter who has how much rep...NO
Does it matter that you have to send a PM instead 'rep mail'... NO

Perhaps the rep part could be removed from the avatar so no one can see who has what rep but still leave it as a function so it can be used for 'rep mail' or to just privately thank someone quickly without bothering with filling up PM boxes.

Either way I'm not going to lose and sleep over it...

Doing away with the rep system entirely might not be a bad idea.
It's all about popularity anyway.
I think it was intended for newbies seeking advice to feel comfortable with responses from hi rep members.
I gotta say there are a few hi rep members I wouldn't seek out for advice on anything. :dunce:

I'm game.

Let the zapping commence.....

jeffmohrmoderator.jpg

The "whining" hasn't been about people having more reps than other people. The "whining" has been that some people think reps are so important that they SPAM every active thread to beg people to give them rep points. If people are going to consider them important enough to disrupt every active thread begging for them, THEN the rep system OR the person doing such activities is the problem - not the number of reps anyone does or does not have.

Anyone that is saying this is over jealousy or such is just using misdirection to guide attacks away from what got anyone wanting to see the rep system gone in the first place: the actions of someone taking over multiple threads with rep requests. All I said was that I didn't like the system but didn't care enough one way or the other what happened to it (I didn't appreciate the multiple posts in all those threads, though), and ask WHY people cared so much either way.....and I'm getting called a bad guy and other nasty names. Its....just....so...darn....funny!

Doing away with the rep system entirely might not be a bad idea.

Can you set reps to 0 or something, Rich? Mike just broght up a valid point, but it seems most people like the "easy PM" feature of a rep. If that's what they want, give it to them but set the maximum as 100 for everyone.........or make it so that people can rep each other, but it is worth 0 points each time (if that is possible). Set the reps as a maximum of 0. Whatever. I can't see that as a BAD deal since the people that like them STILL get to send each other messages that way. Everybody wins and it prevents future spamming-like posts?

I gotta say there are a few hi rep members I wouldn't seek out for advice on anything. :dunce:

...and a few "well" repped ones that I don't believe I've seen even give out much OR any herpetological or herpetofaunal advice at all.....lol.

KJ, you had a great idea somewhere, maybe this thread, I do not remember, but the idea was, that a person builds reputation points with time, the longer they have been here the higher the points, I think this actually happens here at CS, but is not noticed anymore. Then, when you want to rep someone, you actually have to sacrifice some of your rep points. So that all points someone receive is earned. Just an idea.

This entire situation is obviously been on Rich's mind. He would not have acted so quickly if it was not already a thought, just something for everyone to think about.

Back