• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My scorpion haul for the night

hypnoctopus

Olivia Barron
Where I live in AZ there are a lot of Arizona bark scorpions around. Unfortunately they are the most common scorpion species we have around here and also the most potent. I have yet to be stung, but family members and pets have been stung. During the summer months, my husband and I like to go out and catch as many as we can around our yard. We haven't done it in a while, so we caught a LOT this evening. I think I counted 19.

We use a blacklight to spot them:

uNQofel.jpg

Without a blacklight:

UJbDLk3.jpg

And an old pair of snake feeding tongs works wonders for grabbing them!

VqEjHQT.jpg

On my annual trip to Big Bend National Park, TX we caught hundreds of them using cheap black light flashlights. When night herping got dull we would park the car and pull out the flashlights. They were everywhere! In bushes, on rocks, in tall grass. We just didn't see them until we used the flashlights.
It was giddy fun.

Terri

We see scorpions around here every now and again. Probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to break out the UV lights I use for diagnosing automobile leaks and show Connie how many are actually around outside. I would hate to have to move. :poke:

Back