CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Controversial Discussion: Direction of This Site

Old 12-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #31
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Actually I can. It's pretty tough playing moderator to people who are likely past, current, or future customers.

But we need to bear in mind, that under the strictest definition of the term, "contributor" members here ARE still my customers. And those that are not contributing members, certainly may be future customers. So putting a velvet glove on the iron fist may be in order.
Well, I don't have a well-developed sense of despotism-- Zeus knows I've tried. I think that the mods have been too lenient. That includes me, of course.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #32
Susan
I think I pretty well know what's on your mind Dean Most of the forum is fine without many problems. And what goes on in the personal forums, as long as the main site rules are not broken, is up to it's own personal owner to decide. It's certain threads in the General Chit Chat forum that is causing the mod team grief.

When a thread hits 400 posts in less than a day on a controversial topic because members immediately start taking an unyielding stance and instead of a debate of differing ideas/thoughts in a civilized manner, general argumentative posts prevail and quickly slide downhill into accusations, name-calling, and just plain argumentative posting. Why people can't simply discuss their differing viewpoints without one side or the other or both getting their panties in a wad because of what the opposing viewpoint said about one stupid thing or another is beyond me. There is a very good reason why many say that in some instances, there are certain taboo topics of discussion..sex, religion and politics.

It's been said on this forum many times...decide to involve yourself in this type of discussion and live with that decision, no matter what is said that you don't personally like. This forum doesn't discriminate against race, religion, sexual preference, political viewpoint, etc and yes, you are going to eventually come in contact with someone that holds an opinion that you absolutely despise. But I hate to say it, that person probably feels the same way about you and each of you should treat the other as you would like to be treated yourself. Their belief/faith/opinions/etc are just as valid to them as yours are to you and they deserve the same respect from you as you expect to get from them. And if you have a problem with that and simply can't stand to be involved in a discussion with someone of an opposing view, then simply stay away from those threads....period.

Now I haven't had time to proof-read this post as I'm cooking dinner between typing, so I may end up doing some editing after dinner.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #33
Roy Munson
I don't like to discipline unless an infraction is reported. Half of our reports, if not more, are nitpicky bs from one member against a "sworn enemy.". You guys don't see all that. It is EXTREMELY tiring.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #34
Rich Z
I believe I can make the infraction system here whatever we need it to be to help cope with the negative issues. Warnings via the infraction system are just that: a warning to cease with actions that are identified as being counterproductive to the well being of this site. A certain number of the minor infractions and a temporary ban becomes automatic. When that temporary ban expires and IF the activity continues, then a longer temporary ban will result. And of course, a continuance of that activity will invoke a "three strikes, you are OUT" type of penalty.

As for the politically laced arguments, there is only one forum outside of the personal forums where that is likely to be ON TOPIC. The Chit-Chat Forum. Anywhere else and it is likely as being OFF TOPIC. This is not meant to quell discussions that naturally drift one way then another, such as is the norm in a lot of cases. What it is intended to do is to derail off topic posting that can be detrimental to the enjoyment and interest of the majority of the members here. In such a case, the mods have to be pretty much on their toes to apply that ounce of prevention to keep the pound of cure needing to be applied afterwards.

In any event, I will do whatever is needed (within technical practicality) to keep this site functional and attractive to it's members. Of course, it is just not possible to please everyone, but perhaps if you are in the minority dissenting group concerning a policy decision that is based on the best interests of this site in general, some introspection may be in order as to your own goals here.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #35
Roy Munson
Yep, Susan.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #36
CaptBogart
This kind of stuff starts every Fall/Winter without fail due to bored breeders with nothing else to do... add now hobbyists with nothing to buy or no money to buy. Once the snakes come out of brumation it's back to business as usual... I try to avoid anything hot button and opt for the fun threads, or I just disappear until spring. I actually believe this is the latest I've stayed after summer, and there are a few others I've noticed sticking around, so it's not that bad...

Old 12-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #37
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
I don't like to discipline unless an infraction is reported. Half of our reports, if not more, are nitpicky bs from one member against a "sworn enemy.". You guys don't see all that. It is EXTREMELY tiring.
Yeah, well I tried to implement an "abuse of the infraction system" infraction over on FaunaClassifieds, but it didn't work too well.

Generally speaking, if two parties are going at each other with wild abandon, rather then trying to figure out which one is the actual instigator, just give both a temporary cooling off period. There is only so much time available for reading all the posts made on this site, so some times simple expediency has to be the rule. This will also help drive home the idea that perhaps engaging in like attitude, regardless of it being simply in defense, is perhaps ill advised.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #38
Roy Munson
Thanks for the replies, folks. And thank you for the clarification, Rich.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #39
wade
Quote:
Because I have considerable time and energy invested in this site. Now please answer the questions, or find amusement in other threads. Thanks.
Quote:
I don't want to start deleting posts. Save the silliness for dyk.
Quote:
No problem, Wayne. But I won't let this turn into a snakemaster, panda, crapola fest. If my grumpiness isn't obvious, let me spell it out...

Well I’m kind of in a crappy mood too so I’ll put my head on the block. Chop when you’ve heard enough.

Dean, your question kind of explains what answer you would like to hear. I hope I would be violating any rules if I don’t answer accordingly. I don’t see any thing wrong with a little silliness or light heartedness from time to time. Even in a serious discussion. Just my opinion.

I think some people get singled out and beaten up just because certain others don’t like them. The phrase “snakemaster, panda, crapola fest” might be an example of that. I don’t think that is good for moral for the person being slandered nor for the people who witness it.

If you think about it for a minute, we are all here because we enjoy it. If we didn’t we would go else where. There are posts that I don’t like and I don’t read them. But if we ban all the ones you don’t like or Susan doesn’t like, will the ones I like be left? Maybe, Maybe not. But this will be a different place than it is now and the people here like it now.

When I was a high school teacher I would let things slide a bit sometimes until it started bugging me enough that I’d get mad. Then some poor dumb kid on the back row would say something dumb and I’d blow up. I’d blast the whole class. We call it shotgun discipline. I think on some of the heated threads where a few people get out of line, a PM to them might be more effective than blasting the whole class or locking down the thread.

I also think that sometimes those heated threads are great for those involved and other who don’t like it can go to dyk. We have lots of husbandry and breeding threads. You don’t have to watch two people beat each other into submission. Did you notice last night how many people where “spectators” at the bottom of the hot topic?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #40
Rich Z
Just so the public is aware or my policy, unless it is an EXTREME circumstance, my preference is for the affecting parties to be dealt with rather than closing an entire thread, depriving everyone else of the ability to participate in what could otherwise be an interesting discussion. It is rarely the topic matter itself at fault, and is normally one or more persons who are abusing the discussion. The abusers are the ones who need to be dealt with, not the topic matter itself.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google