CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Opinions about this warm hide?

Old 03-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
Netsurfr
Opinions about this warm hide?

I bought the zilla rock lair below for the warm hide of our young corn snake tank but because it has a "floor" the inside doesn't get to 80-85F unless the UTH is turned up really high making the substrate outside and the glass bottom too high. Are these types of hides that don't have an open bottom bad due to this issue?

Old 03-26-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
blacktip
I would recommend using that hide on the cool side and use an open bottom hide for the warm hide.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Netsurfr
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktip View Post
I would recommend using that hide on the cool side and use an open bottom hide for the warm hide.

Good idea. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
JustinOfCO
I have been looking at these, but I am unsure if I should get a medium or a large size. I am considering getting a juvenile or adult corn, and at the price of these I don't want the snake to outgrow it too quickly or have it be too small. I know even a large corn can fit into a deceptively small area comfortably, but it is difficult to judge!

Old 07-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
I actually have that exact hide for my adult (it's a bit too large for a young snake). And mine does well as a warm hide. It's true I have to crank my heat up to about 96 degrees to get it 85 inside the hide. But the Hide sits right over the pad. He doesn't curl up outside of it and even if he did, 96 degrees for a few moments is not going to hurt a corn snake. He spends a fair amount of time in it (he's in it right now) and then he visits the cool hide too.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #6
Laculebrita.Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
I actually have that exact hide for my adult (it's a bit too large for a young snake).
Is the hide you have a medium or large? And how big is your snake? I have a 5mon 15g and I bought the medium, but after getting it in the mail I’m afraid I might have bought too small of a size for when he grows up. (I use mine as a cool hide)

Old 08-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #7
Karl_Mcknight
I have the Medium one. My snake is about 5 feet long.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google