CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How Fast Should Corn Snakes Grow Up?

Old 09-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
Joanna_H
How Fast Should Corn Snakes Grow Up?

I wondering if it is normal for a 4.5mth old corn snake to be eating fuzzies. It's width is 1.2cm at it's widest point so I assume they are ok (1.25, 1.5 rule.)

Just wanted to make sure.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
As long as the fuzzies are about 1 to 1.5 times as wide as your snake's widest part, it's fine. Their growth depends almost entirely on how much and how often they're fed. It's not a great idea to have them on a very aggressive feeding schedule to grow them up more quickly, but as long as you're following the 1-1.5 rule, he should be fine. How often are you feeding?

Old 09-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #3
Joanna_H
Every 5 days.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
Once they're on fuzzies, I usually switch to once every 7 days instead.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
baby snakes feed on a 4 to 5 day schedule. Adolescents on a 7 to 10 day schedule and adults on a 14 to 21 day schedule. I have a male 6 years old, he's approximately 5 feet long, weighs about 500 grams and he eats a 35 gram mouse every 2 weeks.

Snakes will grow bigger and faster if they are fed more, but so will people and it's not good for us and it's not good for them.

Corn snakes are not big bodied snakes like Boas or Pythons. A corn snake can get fat and that's just not how they are supposed to be.

There is a feeding plan (most of us know it as the "Munson Plan") and you can find it online or probably even here on this website somewhere. It details how often you should feed and how much...etc....

Old 09-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #6
Shiari
I tend to grow my babies slower than most people, feeding just once a week. It usually takes my babies 4 years to reach 300 grams.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:46 AM   #7
Joanna_H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
baby snakes feed on a 4 to 5 day schedule. Adolescents on a 7 to 10 day schedule and adults on a 14 to 21 day schedule. I have a male 6 years old, he's approximately 5 feet long, weighs about 500 grams and he eats a 35 gram mouse every 2 weeks.

Snakes will grow bigger and faster if they are fed more, but so will people and it's not good for us and it's not good for them.

Corn snakes are not big bodied snakes like Boas or Pythons. A corn snake can get fat and that's just not how they are supposed to be.

There is a feeding plan (most of us know it as the "Munson Plan") and you can find it online or probably even here on this website somewhere. It details how often you should feed and how much...etc....
Thanks, I had a look at it, my snake weighs 42g so it appears all is good

Old 09-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #8
DeuceRon
Sounds like you've got it figured out. I also have used the Munson plan and it helped to keep my snakes to a good healthy weight.

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2020, 11:29 PM   #9
MysticExotics
I grow mine slow, in general, but they also grow at their own rate. Even on the same feeding schedule, some grow faster than others.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #10
Joanna_H
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
I grow mine slow, in general, but they also grow at their own rate. Even on the same feeding schedule, some grow faster than others.
I'm learning this Well, he appears to be happy, he just went into blue and he got a few upgrades today. Cork tunnel to play with and some greenery to make him feel safer when moving around the viv, a lot more coverage for him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google