• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Milk eating lizard

Jonathan P

As some of you know I got a mismarked Albino Nelson's inexpensively at Petco. I has been a poor eater when it comes to pinkies - ate 1. But now getting voracious with lizards. First I had to knock out the lizards for him to catch them, then insure the lizard was within an inch or so of him. This time he took it down from the lid of the small feeding container I use and fought it until he could subdue it himself. I am adding small bits of scented pinkies after the lizard and he is beginning to take them easier.

I think the pictures tell the story of the lizard take-down though:

Attachments

• PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 59
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 59
  • PICT0044.JPG
    PICT0044.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 58
  • PICT0090.JPG
    PICT0090.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 59
Interesting. And very pretty snake.

Although, why not offer him pre-killed or f/t anoles? I did the live anole thing once, and it broke the skin on a hatchling corn. So never again with that, they have a tremendous bite when they want to.

If he's that hungry for anoles, try anole saliva on a pink, it may work better in the end. Not to mention cheaper. Keep a "pet" anole and make him bite pinks. Such torture. ;)

I used the wrong term when I said scented. I have been allowing the "pet anoles" - as they are fed well for a few days with gut loaded crickets and calcium powder - to bite on to some pinkies, but have been unsuccessful at getting him to eat a whole pinky yet. Each time I try after about 7-9 days from the last feed he starts to take it down then stops and "spits" it out about half way down. The pinks are smaller than the lizards, so I assume the size of the prey isn't the issue. But I do feed pinky parts that have been with the pet lizards each time. After the lizard he will take partial pinkies with lizard saliva on them.

It really is taking a bit of patience, but at least my kids like having crickets and lizards in the house. Even knowing they are nothing but food. Not to bad for 3 & 5 year old girls whose mother can't even be in the same room as a feeding snake. :cheers:

Back