CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Myth or Fact: Snakes unhinging their jaw

Old 06-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
Nanci
I've got my hoggy, Addy. Who doesn't eat on her own. So when I hold a fuzzy or rat pup up to her mouth, she immediately goes all mushy- it looks like her jaw has been smashed to pieces, it bends all over the place! Then I press the mouse into her mouth and she swallows it. I am always horrified at how misshapen her lower jaw can become.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
Voodoo
"Do we really believe mice can't hold their breath 8 seconds?"

It's not about holding their breath. The rodent will typically not have their lungs filled with air to capacity upon the initial constriction. The snake is usually successful in constricting enough at first to rid the lungs of the better part of the air inside. Once the rodent tries to breath again, the snake squeezes tighter. So the rodent quickly ends up with no breath to hold at all and dies of asphyxiation.

When you hold your breath, you can still absorb oxygen into your blood stream, but when all the air is squeezed out, you've got nothing to offer the rest of your body.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #13
tom e
I forgot to even post the other theory..
Some say that constriction causes heart attack or stroke by putting so much pressure on the blood vessels.. That seemed more likely to me, especially with smaller prey like mice.. Seems that there would be enough oxygen in the blood even to last longer than 8 seconds. Naturally, I run all my scientific questions through the 'seems to me' test so there you have it, lol..

Here's what I was looking for..

http://journals.cambridge.org/action...line&aid=54353

Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
Voodoo
I was visiting a friend of mine and it was snake feeding time for her 2 year old ball python, who only eats live rats.

The rat was dropped in, and the snake immediately struck and constricted. As the rat struggled and the snake squeezed, little drops of blood started coming out from the skin on its face. I'd never seen anything like it. As gross as it was, I really wish I would've had my camera just to prove it to the nay-sayers. From that point on, I refuse to watch my friend feed her snake. It's just too gruesome.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google