• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

do snakes have a...

your_only_nightmare

Enouth corns yet?
favorite spot to be scatched, i have maria and im scrathcing her just behind her head,shes constantly slightly moving her head, could she really be enjoying this?

No, in my experience they do not enjoy this. They also don't enjoy being stroked, petted, etc.. If you keep doing it, you'll soon find out how little they enjoy it.

...uh, No

No they do not like it. As Dean says, You'll soon find out just how much. It is important to remember not to project human emotions onto snakes. No matter how much we want to believe it, they just don't have that capacity to think and feel the way cats, dogs or we do. good luck.

A bit off topic but;
I recall seeing on TV that alligators put on there back and stroked on the belly become very relaxed...but then I later heard that the stroking had nothing to do with it's mood and it was all due to the being put on it's back. Anyone able to elaborate on this?

coolsnakesky said:
yeah alligators have pea sized brains and when you flip them over like that their brain actually falls out so to speak so in a sense they become paralized..
haha everydays a school day :D

coolsnakesky said:
yeah alligators have pea sized brains and when you flip them over like that their brain actually falls out so to speak so in a sense they become paralized..

sharks are like that aswell if i recall right. they just go into a none functioning mode and lay there until rolled back over

Yeah, I saw this nature show where Alan Alda was helping some researchers turn over a TIGER SHARK. It zoned out when they turned it over (big one) and rubbed its belly. They were in a small row boat next to their big boat. Anyway, the researcher told Alan Alda that they take a moment to readjust, and see how docile they are, etc... SO when they turned it back over, the shark woke up immediately and started gnawing viciously on their boat. So Alan Alda says something like, "I thought you said they were relaxed and docile", and the researcher said, "Well thats one thing about research, you learn something new every day". It was kinda scary.

Actually, my amel seems to enjoy being stroked and will sit very still while you run your hand along his body. Both he and my Green tree python like to be stroked under their chins and will actually rest their chins on my fingers. I'm not sure all snakes like this, but each are individuals.

Yes, if you hold them by their scruff the way you would a kitten, they go limp and still. You can actually take their blood while holding them like this. I don't know why they do it, though. If anyone has an explanation of the phenomenon, I'd love to hear it.

uchi said:
sharks are like that aswell if i recall right. they just go into a none functioning mode and lay there until rolled back over

Sharks can be petted on the head into a state of trance, seen that happening on Discovery Channel.

I can pet most of my '05 snakes and my small '04 when they are curled up and relaxing around my hand. I pet with my thumb all over their windings and they don't seem to care; they don't run or try to bite or anything else... It's just a relaxing habit I've come to develop handling my snakeys while surfing around here. I'm really one to avoid antropomorphism (right word?) so I don't allow myself to think they like it but they sure don't try to avoid it....

Blutengel said:
Sharks can be petted on the head into a state of trance, seen that happening on Discovery Channel....

Are you sure about that one? Weird. I figured if you pet a shark on the head, he'd eat your hand.
Tiger shark, "Ooo look, free food."

Well we live in Maine and I know I can take a Lobster stroke down it's body and tail and put it to sleep and make it do a head stand. I SWEAR TO GOD!
I will buy a couple lobsters here soon and I will take pics and prove it. :crazy02:
Jay & PJ :cool:

PJCR dictionary...
Originally posted by: Blutengel
I'm really one to avoid antropomorphism (right word?) so I don't allow myself to think they like it but they sure don't try to avoid it....

Anthropomorphism, = a form of personification (applying human or animal qualities to inanimate objects) and similar to prosopopoeia (adopting the persona of another person), is the attribution of human characteristics and qualities to non-human beings, objects, natural, or supernatural phenomena. Animals, forces of nature, and unseen or unknown authors of chance are frequent subjects of anthropomorphosis.

The term comes from two Greek words, άνθρωπος (anthrōpos), meaning "human", and μορφή (morphe), meaning "shape" or "form". The suffix '-ism' originates from the morpheme '-isma' in the Greek language. :rolleyes:

Jay & PJ

Last edited:
Back