• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Non-feeding corn - worried

zebedeepink

My 18 month old previously greedy corn has refused her last 4 feeds (normally 2 x small mice every 7-10 days). We have had her since she was about 8 weeks old and she has always been an excellent feeder to the point of greediness. She is nearly 4ft long and is nice and chunky. She has been recently moved from a plastic tub to a 3ft viv and is fed in a deep plastic box.

Every time we put her in and offer her the mouse, she just tries to escape from the tub. She is also extremely active at the moment and is out exploring her viv most of the time, which is unusual for her as she normally stops in her hide on the heatmat.

My husband suspects that "she" is a male, although we were told that she was a probed female. I really don't know what to do.

She has eaten since she has moved home so I don't think it is that. She looks very healthy and is happy to be handled.

Any suggestions please?

TIA

It's a bit early for male corns to get Spring fever and stop eating. I know your snake ate after the move, but have you rechecked the temperature in the new viv? Can you add more hides in case the new viv just doesn't seem secure enough for he snake to settle and to feed?

(S)he has a few hides but I might add another one in. I will check temps also. She currently has a heatmat over about a third of the viv - how could I go about increasing the temps if this is the problem? Also, how could I get a definitive answer re her sex?

Many thanks

I know it isn't very accurate, but could you take pics of her tail, so we could guess at her sex? it really sounds like springtime male behaviour to me! I expect mine to be starting at any time.

And the only way you can get him/her definitively sexed is to find a local person to do it. You _could_ buy a set of probes and watch Kathy's videos and teach yourself, very very carefully, but what makes it easier to learn is if you have snakes of a known sex to practice on before you attempt an unknown snake.

It's a bit early for male corns to get Spring fever and stop eating.
It is a bit early, but I must say I've noticed it get earlier and earlier for my male...

It's the fact that refusing food is coupled with being very active that makes me suspect you have a randy male on your hands. Or a randy female, so I've heard a few females do exhibit this behaviour too, it's just more rare. I've also heard it is more difficult to sex them when they are very young, so perhaps s/he was mis-probed?!

I don't think there's a problem Tia, keep an eye out just in case, but I'm sure it's just your girl or guy's first spring fever. Don't offer food too often, you don't want to condition her/him to refuse. This period can last many months as well, so don't be alarmed if it goes on and on and on...

Back