CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

!Help!- Emergency Incubator Instructions!!! Needed!!

Old 12-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
Random8A
!Help!- Emergency Incubator Instructions!!! Needed!!

My RESCUED Leo female is begining to lay eggs. ( didnt know she was this close to laying ) And my order for heat tape isnt in yet, nor is my Hovabator working..
The only items I have on hand are Tupperwear/Moss/heat pads..

Let me know ASAP.

Thank you.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
Roy Munson
Since it's not about corn snakes, I moved this thread to the appropriate forum.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Random8A
Sorry Dean!!!

My mistake, I've been rushing back and forth from Leo forum and Corn snake forum.. In a panic trying to get items for my home made incubator!! Before she lay's on me.
My Apologies!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random8A View Post
Sorry Dean!!!

My mistake, I've been rushing back and forth from Leo forum and Corn snake forum.. In a panic trying to get items for my home made incubator!! Before she lay's on me.
My Apologies!!!
No big deal. There's good info from VMS herps here (near bottom of page):

http://www.vmsherp.com/LCBreedingLeopards.htm

I don't know much about leos, so I can't be of much help myself...

Old 12-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
Random8A
Your always a huge help!

~Thanks for the link, its very helpful!

Old 12-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
tyflier
You need a styrofoam cooler, a heat mat, a thermostat, and a wire shelf from an old refirgerator(or similar) that will fit into the cooler.

Place the heat mat into the bottom of the cooler. You can run the cord out through the top or cut a hole in the cooler. Your choice. Put the shelf in the cooler, using the "legs" that would hold it into a fridge to hold it in place in the cooler by sticking them into the styrofoam. Perfection is not necessary, as it is only meant to keep the lay-box off of the heat mat directly. Use the thermostat to set an appropriate temperature for your eggs to incubate(I don't know what that would be for gecko eggs). Once your leo is ready to lay, put the lay-box into her enclosure, and let her lay her eggs. Once the eggs are laid, place the lay-box into the incubator, and wait.

You should set up the incubator ASAP, to ensure the temperature is reasonably stabalized before the eggs are laid.

Hope that was helpful in some small way. Good Luck!

Old 12-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
Nanci
I bet you could use a baking cooling rack instead of the refrigerator shelf. Easier to find.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
Random8A
Leo eggs need to be in the 80's for specific genders.

I will see if I can wip this up, I need to make sure my temps are near to perfect!

Thank you!

Old 12-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
Live4TheLord115
if the above method doesn't work, here is a method i use for my bearded dragons when for some odd reason the hobavator breaks down.

get a ten gallon fish tank, fill it about 2-3 inches with water, and place a brick in the bottom to keep the lay tub above water level. place a water heater (the submersible kind used in fish tanks) placed for around the mid 80's. when beardies lay their eggs i transfer them from the lay tub into containers with vermiculite, place the container on the brick, and cover is with saran wrap. you can use an indoor/outdoor thermometer with the outside probe in the container with the eggs so that you can check the temps. i used to keep tropical fish before i got into lizards. if you don't have these supplies on hand, attempt to make the above method work. it sounds very reliable.

Kevin

Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
Random8A
If I cant get my hands on vermiculite, could I use moss?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google