CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Sand Color

Old 10-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #31
dickdeuel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haarstad View Post
Like i said earlier, i never had a problem with the sand but it doesn't mean that i wouldn't have a problem in the future if i stayed with it, i DO think that the environment in the cage was too dry though, the more i think about it, the more i realize how much brighter your snakes were compared to mine so I'm going to give it a couple weeks and see if he brightens up a bit, kinda a good experiment

Oh and i had the snake on sand bedding for 11 months (Obviously i changed it) but that was 11 months without any problems, one time while shedding, a little 1/8" piece was stuck on the tip of his tail, i took it off but that was the only thing that was even remotely close to a problem that I've had, so I'll keep you guys posted on this coconut bark and let you know if it's worth it... I paid 10 dollars for 10 quarts, I did not shop around though, i needed it now so i went down to Petsmart and bought it, you can get the same 10 quart bag online for 6 bucks if you google it

It's good to see someone looking to try something different instead of sticking to the narrow range of solutions that are found in any books out there.

I think the coconut bark will work fine and looks good. It could get a little expensive if you have more than a couple snakes.

Blue aquarium gravel would work fine in an aquarium like you have. It can be washed and dried several times to lower the cost. In a wooden cage moisture would be a problem.

One suggestion I have is to add background scenery to the back and ends of the aquarium so the snake is less distracted and improve your eye appeal.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #32
Fatman608
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorouszoo View Post
Personally if I decide to try having a colored substrate I would get a huge pack of blue paper and run my shredder. FUN! I love my shredder WHURRR-WHURRR-WHURRR! HEE HEE HEE!
See that is thinking outside the box. Thanks for the idea too.

Love the Fatman

Old 10-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #33
Bammer
Wow, see some people can find the easy way of doing things (shredding blue paper) , while others (ME) overcomplicated everything.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #34
Haarstad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdeuel View Post
It's good to see someone looking to try something different instead of sticking to the narrow range of solutions that are found in any books out there.

I think the coconut bark will work fine and looks good. It could get a little expensive if you have more than a couple snakes.

Blue aquarium gravel would work fine in an aquarium like you have. It can be washed and dried several times to lower the cost. In a wooden cage moisture would be a problem.

One suggestion I have is to add background scenery to the back and ends of the aquarium so the snake is less distracted and improve your eye appeal.
I might have to look for some background stuff for it then but my snake is getting big enough where i might start thinking about a Long 20Gal tank, i know that your snake can be in an enclosure that is shorter than the snake is long but a 10gal tank is probably only going to work for about a year, i want more room for him... I believe he was born in Sept '09 and i purchased him in Nov '09 and he is already longer than the tank (24 inches) so in about a month i'll prolly splurge and buy a 20L Zilla Critter Cage for him and a quick question... How long should he be at this age? just wanna know if he's short, long, or on the right track as a normal corn

Old 10-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #35
MysticExotics
Check out these cage accessories. He has rock backgrounds, & hide rocks.
He's also someone that I would highly recommend for cages, as well.
http://www.constrictorsnw.com/cagess...cessories.html

Old 10-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #36
Haarstad
I'm looking for a good bigger cage for under $100 and zilla was the cheapest that has a nice lid that I've found

Old 10-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #37
Bammer
I believe petsmart sells tanks for a dollar a gallon. 10g=10$ 50g=50$ and so one and so fourth. After that its just a matter of getting a lid to fit (or make one out of Plexiglas.. )

Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #38
Sweetseraph
I don't know about others, but my corn's comfort and ability to function as naturally as possible is more important than my selfish desire to be able to see him at any given moment. As such, I would never subject them to something like gravel as a substrate.

As for the coconut bark, that's what the best reptile store in my area uses for all their snakes.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #39
Karoni
dickdeul said: "One suggestion I have is to add background scenery to the back and ends of the aquarium so the snake is less distracted and improve your eye appeal."

I have been looking for a natural-looking background picture for my snake's 20L tank. I've been having a hard time finding one. Does anyone know where I could buy a terrarium background that's natural looking for corns (not desert landscapes, etc.)?

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #40
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bammer View Post
When I use the lightweight substrates like coconut husk or aspen my snake burrows and tunnels so i never see him.. That's why i now use a combo of towels and found small stones.

So you're depriving him of the opportunity to do something he likes to do, that he does instinctively, for _your_ pleasure??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
bedding