• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Stuck eye scale

Asher9

So a couple weeks ago, I posted a thread asking about my snakes cloudy eye, and people helped me identify it as a stuck eye scale from his last shed, and that I should just wait for him to work it out, because it can be dangerous to remove. They also helped me identify that it wasn't infected because his eye wasn't blue. They told me to keep the humidity up in his tank. I have had him since late December, and his eye was like that when I got him. He hasn't shed since I have had him, the owner before said he shed the week before I got him. He is five years old. He still has the stuck eye scale, and I am wondering what I should do. Thank you!!

I've never had to deal with this before but I think it's probably best you just leave it. There's too much room for error and you could end up seriously damaging his eye. He probably won't shed for a while since he's older, but I think it's best to wait. Up the humidity and even soak him once or week and let him run through a damp towel/pillow case and see if that helps take it off. Hope that helps a bit and good luck [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very new at this but I was wondering if u put him in the tub for a warm (not very warm) bath. It may get wet enough with the soak or the slight humidity from the water may help. Like I said I am very new at the cornsnake thing so with that said maybe another user can give their opinion to be sure this is a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, thank you. So it won't get infected or anything if I leave it in? I have already tried the bath, but I will give it another go.

like was said before, see what happens next time he sheds. He will eventually shed. The stuck eye scale doesn't have to come off today. It can wait. No harm will come to the snake if you wait and let Nature take its course. On the other hand, great harm can come if you try to Fix Nature yourself.

That's good! Here's hoping it fixes itself [emoji2] make sure your humidity is nice and high to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a reason you can't take him to a vet?

I would soak him twice a day in betadine mixed into room temp water, till it's the color of weak tea. I'd let him get a drink of plain water first, so he doesn't drink the betadine.

Then I'd put Vaseline Intensive Care lotion on his eye, as many times a day as you can. Four times, at least.

If it's a stuck spectacle, he ought to shed at a shorter interval than normal, to get it off. I'd say less than a month.

Ok, thank you. You think I should take him to the vet? I can I just had heard from other people it isn't nessicary and it would work it's way out.

The reason a vet visit is necessary if it doesn't come off with the shed is A. make sure it is, in fact, a stuck spectacle, and B., if so, there isn't anything else involved.

When I received a snake with a stuck spectacle, he also had a sinus infection on the same side, possibly from rubbing his eye to try to remove the spectacle. So that had to be treated as well. You can probably find photos of it, if you search. The snake involved was Fred. The change to the blood supply to the eye, as seen from inside the mouth, was quite apparent.

He just shed, the eye caps came off with it, I checked. Unfortunately, his eye is still cloudy, so that means it is something else, right? I will bring him to the vet tomorrow, it is too late to go now.

Did you take him to the vet?
If not, keep in mind that just because he sheds one eye cap it doesn't mean he shed stuck ones as well.
As for dealing with stuck eye caps, I've never had an issue using scotch tape (low tack) or even painters tape to remove them. I've done it several times without harming the snake. As long as you're not using something super sticky, it shouldn't be a problem. Though, just saying here, I never saw this snake originally so I am NOT telling you to go try this as I don't even know if it is for sure a stuck eye cap.

Since he shed. Check to see if there are 2 eye caps on the side of the stuck one. It will still be stuck to the newer eye scale that shed off.

Either way since the eye is still cloudy you need to go to a reptile vet!

PLEASE RESEARCH BEFORE DOING WHAT IM SAYING
If anyone knows The Crocodile Hunter he said what you can do is get a bit of sticky tape and very gently put in on and off his eye until it comes off.
Don't use strong tape as it may damage his eye
I have never tried this so I don't know if it will hurt him.

Back