CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Plasma/Lav-Blood/Lav-Diffused: Freshly Shed

Old 04-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Roy Munson
Plasma/Lav-Blood/Lav-Diffused: Freshly Shed

Whatever you want to call her, Violet is an '05 Serpenco. She weighed 12g at delivery on 01/03/06. Since then, she has more than septupled her weight, and she's now at 65g. Her interests include eating, eating, and springing out of tubs.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Charlie
Roy,
What is your feeding schedule for a 20ish gram hatchling. I am amazed at how well your animals grow. I have a lava het amel male that I would like to get up to breeding size by next summer. Any advice? He is a pig and is eating whatever I offer him. I am just wondering how often and what size you feed. When you move up prey items...etc. Any help?

Charlene

Old 04-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Roy,
What is your feeding schedule for a 20ish gram hatchling. I am amazed at how well your animals grow. I have a lava het amel male that I would like to get up to breeding size by next summer. Any advice? He is a pig and is eating whatever I offer him. I am just wondering how often and what size you feed. When you move up prey items...etc. Any help?

Charlene
I've been asked this question a number of times in PMs, so I finally wised up and put it in a word document for easy cut and paste:

Quote:
-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 3-4 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 4 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 5 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 5-7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (24-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

This is by no means scientific, and not all corns will cooperate 100% with the schedule. The weight ranges I gave for the prey and snakes are approximate. I'm very consistent in my feedings. Some people feed every Saturday, for example. If they get a refusal, the snake has to wait for the next Saturday to get another shot. I don't do this. If a snake refuses today, he'll get another shot in two days.

I used to drag all prey items' back ends through a supplement mix before every feeding. I've cut it back to every 5-6 feedings. The mix is a 2:2:1 ratio of Rep-Cal Herptivite (vitamin/mineral/amino), Tetra-Fauna ReptoCal (calcium + vit D), and Nutri-Bac (probiotic).

But I also give a lot of credit for my results to The Mouse Factory. I think they put out a superior product. The importance of the nutritional value of the prey items can't be emphasized enough.

Good luck! I hope this info proves to be useful.
-Dean

Old 04-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
Charlie
LOL. I bet you are tired of people asking. I just notice all the pictures you post...your animals are nice animals. They are proportional all the way from head to tail. I just wondered how you did it.

BTW. Awesome Lavendar Blood!

Old 04-19-2006, 08:51 PM   #5
Roy Munson
Quote:
LOL. I bet you are tired of people asking. I just notice all the pictures you post...your animals are nice animals. They are proportional all the way from head to tail. I just wondered how you did it.

BTW. Awesome Lavendar Blood!
Thanks! I don't really get tired of being asked, especially since I put it in an easily accessed document. I should also add that this schedule is not feasible for everybody. It's very time/effort intensive. If I end up with too many more corns, I'll probably have to start standardizing feeding schedules.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:56 PM   #6
Charlie
Yes, I know what you mean about it being time comsuming. I have a large collection and have a standarized feeding schedule but there a few corns (mainly males) that I would like to bump up in hopes that they would be ready to breed next year. Thanks for the help. Would you be opposed to me placing that on my website under feeding? I will give you credit but I think it will be helpful to some people.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Bobo's Mama
Thanks for the beautiful pics and the feeding plan, Dean. Just out of curiosity, how often would you feed an adult you had no intention of breeding? Once a week, every 10 days, or every 2 weeks?

Old 04-19-2006, 09:23 PM   #8
Jeff Linkchorst
very nice pics Dean as usual

Old 04-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #9
Roy Munson
Quote:
Would you be opposed to me placing that on my website under feeding? I will give you credit but I think it will be helpful to some people.
No, I don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo's Mama
Thanks for the beautiful pics and the feeding plan, Dean. Just out of curiosity, how often would you feed an adult you had no intention of breeding? Once a week, every 10 days, or every 2 weeks?
You're welcome.
I have adults that I don't plan on breeding, but it doesn't affect my feeding schedules for them. I'd go with 7 days until they hit around 400g, and then I'd adjust based on how they look. If they're a pudgy 400g, then I'd go for 10 days. I have a 510g female that isn't pudgy, and she's eating 2 adults every 10 days. It really depends. I've seen 800g corns that were perfectly proportioned, and others that were grossly fat at that weight.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #10
Bobo's Mama
I was wondering because of Doug. He is 587g and I don't think that is his true and healthy weight, because he has been off and on food for the last few months. I can see his spine a bit, and some of his skin seems looser than it should. I think for him 2 every 10 days would be good, but we'll see. I haven't even attempted feeding him yet, since I just got him Saturday. I was going to give him a week of getting used to everything before feeding, or at least attempting a feed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google