CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Advice on Feeding a hatchling with a small neck kink?

Old 10-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
snakechaarmer
Wink Advice on Feeding a hatchling with a small neck kink?

Hi all,

I have a positively amazing stonewashed aztec hatchling female I am trying to save.

She has a very small, barely noticeable neck kink. It is immediately behind her head.

The person I got her from said She ate once on her own, and now hasn't eaten on her own in about 8 weeks. When I got her home, I waited a few days, offered a F/T split pinky, a live pinky, and then I assist-fed a pinky head. I actually thought I had killed her because she swallowed it and it got stuck right at the kink. I thought she wouldn't be able to spit it out or swallow, but after a few minutes it went down just fine.

I am thinking maybe, if she survies, she'll have issues swallowing for her whole life - But I could be wrong?

I am looking for the best way to approach this problem with assist feeding, as well as attempts to get her to eat on her own? I was told to try mouse tails but I've never done that before or heard of it for a corn snake.

Thanks for any suggestions ^_^

Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Fatman608
Hey snakechaarmer,

I may be way off base here but have you thought of tube feeding her until she gets big enough to be able to swallow on her own.

What I was thinking if you tube fed her until she is the size for like fuzzes you could then feed her two large pinkies that she should be able to swallow on her own power.

Just my 2 cents.

Love the Fatman

Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
snakechaarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman608 View Post
Hey snakechaarmer,

I may be way off base here but have you thought of tube feeding her until she gets big enough to be able to swallow on her own.

What I was thinking if you tube fed her until she is the size for like fuzzes you could then feed her two large pinkies that she should be able to swallow on her own power.

Just my 2 cents.

Love the Fatman
This is something I haven't considered. How would I go about doing this, are you basically meaning a pinky pump? I haven't had the unfortunate experience of using that yet, either

Thanks for your input!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Fatman608
I have never tube fed or pinky pump a hatchling. Katy Love sales the kit online at her website. I would PM Nanci for more info.

Sorry, I could not be more help.

Love the Fatman

Old 10-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
wstphal
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakechaarmer View Post
This is something I haven't considered. How would I go about doing this, are you basically meaning a pinky pump? I haven't had the unfortunate experience of using that yet, either

Thanks for your input!
Kathy Love describes using ferret food slurry in a feeding tube. It's probably more nutritious than pinks. Tara80 does it too. You could PM either of them for details. It would give this girl a chance to grow enough to swallow properly. Good luck!

Old 10-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
snakechaarmer
Thanks all for the input, I met up with Kathy love yesterday and purchased the tube feeding kit from her at the Repticon Show. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
ShenziSixaxis
Try the tube feeding, and also try taking water away for about a day and then put the snake in room-temp milk. Apparently people are getting luck with that.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
snakechaarmer
Never heard the milk thing. Will try that.

Thought I would post a pic of the little girl I'm trying to save. She's had 3 assist fed meals so far and kept them down with no problems. Will try the tube soon though.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
nlt71
You may just have to give her small meals that are easier to swallow. Maybe the teeniest pinkies and feed her two -- once she decides to eat on her own.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google