CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding Re-F/T Mice

Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
JakeMiller13
Feeding Re-F/T Mice

I thawed 2 mice last night to feed my guy, only to take him out and see he was in the blue so I put him back and refroze the mice. Is there any problem with feeding him these refrozen/thawed mice after his shed?

Old 12-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Onarian
Shouldn't be any issues.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Johan13
I wouldnt do it.

Meat when left out can allow bacteria to culture, and this could potentially reach unhealthy levels. Most likely this wouldnt be an issue, but it is a common cause of food poisoning. Remember bacteria reproduce exponentially, so the more time in thaw, they can reach dangerous levels quite quickly.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
GSDlover
You don't do this with human food, so I wouldn't do it with snake food either.

You're not suppost to freeze, thaw and then freeze again.
Did you see if he would eat while in blue? Both my snakes eat while in shed/blue.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Onarian
Of course we do this with human food. For example, freezing leftovers after a particularly large meal and thawing them when you want to eat them or thawing pre-cooked breakfast sausages, chicken patties or any other meat that has been pre-processed before picking it up in the grocery store. There shouldn't be any issues with re-freezing a thawed mouse aside from that I might not taste quite as good the second time around.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
Fatman608
Hey JakeMiller13,

There should not be a problem if you did not leave them thawed out for along time. The question is what is along time. I put my frozen mice in a cup of hot/warm running tap water for about 15 minutes. So to me, 15 to 20 minutes is not along time.

Know if the mouse use thawed out for a hour or more I would more than likely throw it out.

Love the Fatman

Old 12-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Fatman608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onarian View Post
Of course we do this with human food. For example, freezing leftovers after a particularly large meal and thawing them when you want to eat them or thawing pre-cooked breakfast sausages, chicken patties or any other meat that has been pre-processed before picking it up in the grocery store. There shouldn't be any issues with re-freezing a thawed mouse aside from that I might not taste quite as good the second time around.
Hey Onarian,

You are a person after my own heart because I LOVE leftovers. Nothing better then making a big pot of soup and freezing it for the next week meal.

Love the Fatman

Old 12-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
JakeMiller13
Ok, I only left them out for 30-45 minutes, so I'm thinking I will see if he'll take them. I've been told that feeding snakes while they are in the blue is not good for a couple of reasons: can't see as well so may mistake hand for food and defecating underneath the skin that is shedding off, so I didn't even try to see if he would take the mice the first time. I'm pretty sure he would have though, having in the past missed him go in the blue only to feed him the night before a shed. Is it really that bad to feed him in the blue?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google