CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Dalek ate Fir bark! Pictures...

Old 01-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #31
VickyChaiTea
It would have to be operated on now, if it doesn't pass.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #32
Susielea
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusacoils View Post
Another thing you can try is giving it baths, especially if you notice the snake beginning to poop. The water getting into the cloaca, may help move the object along. I'm going to think that you should see a bump appear right before the vent, right before she poops. You may also try a little Vaseline or KY jelly. Anything to lube up that opening. That's assuming it makes it that far.

If you have a reptile vet in the area, I would give them a ring in the morning and see what they suggest. They may have you bring her in, only if a problem arises. That, I wouldn't wait on. Make that call.

Wayne
Good thinking and I really should have added that last part myself, thank you Wayne!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 AM   #33
medusacoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyChaiTea View Post
It would have to be operated on now, if it doesn't pass.
That's assuming that the snake needs surgery. It could pass it on it's own. It's hard to say at this point what is going to happen.

Wayne

Old 01-25-2010, 01:18 AM   #34
VickyChaiTea
It's so big and the snake is so small... I highly doubt it'll pass on it's own. Especially since it won't be digested much if at ALL.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #35
Teddy Roosevelt
I seriously doubt it'll pass by itself. Like I said, Mouse pooped a perfect, intact piece of aspen when I fed her in-tank, and that was considerably smaller and a more pliable shape than this. Vet would be the only option for me.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #36
wade
I might point out that not one single person here knows what it is that the snake swallowed. It may have been as skinny as a tooth pick. It may or may not pass through the system. I can tell you for a fact if you rush it to the vet he will say to wait a week or two and see what happens. If an impaction occurs we will then do what is necessary to resolve that. Until then there is nothing to do. You are all making a very big deal out of something that is not a big deal.

We all make mistakes and we learn. None of us got involved with snakes knowing everything. The OP has learned a good lesson and that is great. Good for you. If you aren’t totally bummed by the responses you have gotten here are still reading all the good advice. Of course if we have driven you away with all of our preaching then I guess we can’t help you any further.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #37
Aislin
Just wanted to say good luck. Hope it passes without issue.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #38
Asbit
I would just like to agree with Wade here and state what should be the obvious, this forum is supposed to be a place where people can come and ask for help and advice without the fear of being berated, belittled and made out to be terrible horrible stupid people.

Just because a person knows something(or feels they know something) and to them it seems logical and obvious, does not mean that everyone knows that same information! All people make mistakes, and the fact that people come here and ask for help should be enough to show that they have a desire to learn and correct their mistakes so they do not happen again.

We ALL love our snakes and snakes in general here BUT that does not give us the right to act as though we are superior and treat others so unkindly, if the roles were reversed how would it make "you"(not referring to one specific person here) feel?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #39
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
I might point out that not one single person here knows what it is that the snake swallowed. It may have been as skinny as a tooth pick. It may or may not pass through the system. I can tell you for a fact if you rush it to the vet he will say to wait a week or two and see what happens. If an impaction occurs we will then do what is necessary to resolve that. Until then there is nothing to do. You are all making a very big deal out of something that is not a big deal.

We all make mistakes and we learn. None of us got involved with snakes knowing everything. The OP has learned a good lesson and that is great. Good for you. If you aren’t totally bummed by the responses you have gotten here are still reading all the good advice. Of course if we have driven you away with all of our preaching then I guess we can’t help you any further.
I owe you rep, Wade. No-one can learn easily if they are belittled and chastised for asking questions and making mistakes. They will either see the insults and leave the forum or try to defend themselves. Errorless learning isn't often an option in real life situations. None of us on here are perfect beings who never had to ask for help or made mistakes in our lives!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #40
Arpolis
Thanks everyone for the kind words and even to you all that may have been a little "harsh", I know that all of us here are passionate about snakes and we all take those passions one way or another. When I moved the obstruction; which was done VERY gingerly, it moved with much ease and when righted in line with her body it was un noticeable at that point. I think if it didn't go sideways I may have never known she swallowed it. I called the vet this morning and they said from my description of the snakes weight, age and size of the obstruction we should wait till she goes through a week or so to see if it passes. The vet gave the same advise as some of you all here in just watching the vent area to see how that looks and to make sure no lumps form. If any do form rush to their location as soon as possible. Also let her swim in a tub of warm watter for about 10 - 20 min in about a day or so and that may entice her to drink more watter during that time and help the bark pass more easily. But until any obvious signs happen he said all we can do is wait for the moment and hope for the best. On the side note I think this has been a big learning experience and I welcome every bit of knowledge I can get. I have barely been owning snakes for about 11 months now and I have been on this sight almost every day of that time learning as much as I can. Regardless of what happens I will take what I can from this and provide even better care for my snakes in the future.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google