CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Low drop??

Old 03-26-2002, 04:05 PM   #1
Snipper
Low drop??

Lastnight I let my little cusin hold my new candy cane corn right above the his tank and as he was bitting him back I guess the snake moved quickly tring to be put down and my little cusin let him go alittle high. He was holding him over his tank and he did drop on to the subtract. He wasn't high and he didn't land on anything that could hurt him,he just landed. Do you think that he'll be ok?? He was moving around normal. Even though I don't think he wanted to be bothered for awhile, so he went to hide for a while. He'll be OK right?? And by the way, just a question can snakes drop and not get hurt?? Also do Candy Cane Corns like to swim?
Thank lots!!

Old 03-26-2002, 05:15 PM   #2
Alicia
Smile

I'm sure that he will be fine. If he was moving around normally then don't worry. Be careful when small children hold snakes (I have a 6 year old) they don't really know how to react when the snake tries to get away like that It's not a good idea to let them fall or drop from high places. I had one get out of her cage one time & fell from the top of a bookcase. We found her & she was fine but I was very worried that she might be hurt. I hope your enjoying your new snake!!

Old 03-26-2002, 08:46 PM   #3
Simon
Well....

Since you said that he wasn't dropped down at a very high altitude, I would think that he is alright. Also since he landed in your substrate (I would guess it's aspen) some of the fall's force should be absorbed by the substate. If you are really worried, you can just keep a close eye at it. I know how it feels when a kid drops your beloved snake on the ground. But at least it's not dead right now right? Something worse could of happened instead of the fall right?

About swimming, well I would say that it's a good excercise for it. But then of course don't let it swim too long since it might cause them to have a respirtory problem. But I would say 30 min or so would be great excercise for them. Also doing this would ease their shedding. Make sure the water isn't too hot......luke warm water should do.

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Old 03-29-2002, 10:47 PM   #4
CornsnakeKeeper
He should be okay. Just keep an eye on it. if it was moving around okay, then don't worry. Mine tend to climb around the little ledge at the top of the cage under the screen ledge. The just love to squeeze up in there. They don't realize how big they've gotten and often fall back down to the bottom. They've never been injured, many times they go back up and do it again. Silly snakes-

Old 03-30-2002, 09:58 AM   #5
vbgrafx
Question that little ledge...

hey cornsnakekeeper,
that's exactly what one of my little ones does! she's always on that little ledge. i haven't been too worried about her falling, 'cause she's quite small and fits up there nicely, but she does get kinda close to the heat source sometimes. so that scares me and i take her down. but i can't leave the room for 10 minutes and she's back up there. do you think she's alright, or should i do something to seal that ledge off?

Thanks

Old 03-31-2002, 01:49 AM   #6
Simon
I think that you should put something there so that she does not get too near the light source, since the light source can cause heat burns to the snake. Good luck and Happy Herping!

Old 03-31-2002, 10:46 AM   #7
lynn
mine used to do that as well, climb up on her rock wall when she was small and fall off but she never hurt herself.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google