CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Keeping

Old 04-01-2002, 01:27 PM   #1
JakeTheSnake
Question Keeping

Yesterday during Easter diner at my wife's grandmother's house her Uncle Bob ask if I'd be interested in housing a 24" corn snake. He described it as being very brightly colored, and possibly having just shed. Reason for his inquiry was the people in the area want the snake gone, because they believe it to be a poisionous snake even though my Bob has told them other wise. I don't want to see any harm done to this animal so I figured since I do own corns and have the room and time that I would take it. My question is for the more knowledgable to let me know there opinion on whether thats a good choice or relocation is wise. I would like to hear soon so I may prevent this snake from being killed.

Old 04-01-2002, 02:42 PM   #2
Simon
Yes you should adopt the snake. Since they are now used to being captive releasing back out might cause a little trouble for it. It might not have required skills that other wild corns have. It would not be as aggressive or devensive as other snakes, thus making it more dangerous for it. Since you said that you have the room and time for it. I'd say definately go for it!

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Old 04-01-2002, 02:49 PM   #3
nicky
Thumbs up sounds like a good plan!

Hello,
I think what you are doing is very nobel. Sticking out for a stray's life! We need more people like you whho will take in stray's even thoe I know anyone would probably do the same. Just my opinion but i think you should save the poor things life. Just rember if you take him in and something goes wrong all of us are always here

(sorry I get carried away with all the little smily people)

Old 04-01-2002, 05:52 PM   #4
Kevin M
Do the corn justice and adopt him. His life can only be infinitly better from then on.

As for releasing him at another location. I'd be a little hesitent. As Simon stated the corn might or might not be able to survive in the wild. Why take the chance?

-Kev

Old 04-01-2002, 10:06 PM   #5
CornsnakeKeeper
If they are common to the area, I'd say relocate him just a little ways away. Buy a captive bred from Rich, if you're interested in owning one.

If it's in colder areas where it will die anyway because it was someones pet, give it a try. But, if it doesn't feed voluntarily soon you'll have problems.

Old 04-01-2002, 10:15 PM   #6
JakeTheSnake
First I do own captive breed corn snakes and this isn't a snake that being keep already, but is living in a persons shed in down town Palm Bay. The city is a rapidly growing with tons of construction. I figure since it is only 24" it isnt too old to tame as I have in past keep one that I caught at that size and he lived for 10 years.

Old 04-01-2002, 10:30 PM   #7
CornsnakeKeeper
Sounds like you have already made up your mind.

Old 04-02-2002, 10:40 AM   #8
JakeTheSnake
Not really just want to make you understand that I am not just doing it just to get a free snake. That I also have kept snakes before this time period. All I want is a good varied response to make the best choice for me and the snakes sake.

P.S. Thanks to all that have replied already, your time and effort is much welcomed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google