CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Shed right after brumation?

Old 02-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
jsschrei
Shed right after brumation?

I had a female shed about 1 week after being taken out of brumation. I've read in several places that it should be 5-8 weeks after warm up. Could she have just been really close to a shed cycle when I put them into brumation? Should I try breeding now, even though her mate hasn't shed yet? Or will she shed again and that will be the time to breed her?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
airenlow
It's worth a shot. What's the worst that can happen...they don't do anything?

Old 02-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
It's worth a shot. What's the worst that can happen...they don't do anything?
I agree. If the female is ovulating, the male will not care if he is opaque.

When a shed comes this close to coming out of brumation, it is almost always a false shed, when considering the shed before ovulation. They will most likely breed when you expect them to.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
wendhend
I have a female that shed right after she came out of brumation this year and she WAS ovulating early. Unfortunately I didn't realize it right away, being that she is a reclusive one that likes to stay really hidden in her rack drawer and feeds better in her drawer. I didn't realize she had ovulated until I had a food refusal and got her out to check her out. She was full of big eggs. I put her with a male right away, and he bred her..... but I'm thinking it may have been too late to fertilize them, and I may end up with a bunch of slugs. I will probably know in a couple of weeks. In any case, I would let yours try breeding now just in case she is ovulating. I don't thing the shed cycle of the males makes much difference. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
tspuckler
I've had Corn Snakes shed while in brumation and also right after coming out of cooling. In these cases it was not a "pre-breeding shed" as the snakes all shed again before going into breeding mode. Though I'd certainly treat this as if it could be the "pre-breeding shed" so you don't miss a window of opportunity.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
wendhend
Yup, I missed my window of opportunity on my breeding my snake that shed right after brumation. I had my first clutch of 2011 laid today..... and it's a stinkin' pile of slugs!

Name:  slugs.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  176.9 KB

Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
jsschrei
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendhend View Post
Yup, I missed my window of opportunity on my breeding my snake that shed right after brumation. I had my first clutch of 2011 laid today..... and it's a stinkin' pile of slugs!

Attachment 142538
Oh no! I'm sorry to see that I tried breeding the couple that shed immediately after and the female ran and the male never showed interest. So I'm waiting on another shed from a few girls.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google