CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

urgent advise needed

Old 03-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
dw662002
urgent advise needed

i went in today to pair up some of my corns for breeding. the first 1 i picked up was my candycane when i got a total surprise. she was in the middle of dropping an egg. i imediatley replaced her back in her box. my question is could i have caused her to cease laying? or could she become egg bound due to me picking her up? the 1 egg she laid looked to be good. she was paired with my male amel mot 2-3 times with 2 visual lock ups. i covered her tub up for some privacy. how long does it normally take for a corn to drop a clutch?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
diamondlil
I've interuppted my corn's egg laying the first year of breeding, so it is possible. Just leave her box covered up (is there a laybox in there?) for a few hours before you check her again, preferably without opening the tub if possible.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Nanci
I would try not to check on her for six hours now. I doubt you could make her become egg bound, but she can stop until she feels safe again. Does she have a lay box? She should be done in 24 hours. Then feel her carefully for retained eggs.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
dw662002
Yes there is a lay box with sphagnum moss. It was. A suprise cuz she never really "showed" of haveing eggs. I have a box in with them at all times to help with shedding. Thanks for the advise.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
bitsy
I have one that doesn't show at all. Right up to the day she lays, it's a complete guessing game. Others feel like a sock full of golf balls and all I have to do is pick them up to feel every egg in the clutch. Go figure...

Old 03-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
carnivorouszoo
My shade is in the blue right now in her laybox prepping to shed, she usually eats in the blue so I offered her a fuzzy last night and she refused adamantly trying to get back to her laybox. A week or so ago I could feel at least 6 bumps in her now I can not feel anything but she is thicker in the last third and has gotten that triangular shape some take before laying. I am so excited. She's such a muscular girl I am sure she will not have issues, I'm sure your girl will be ok too. Good luck amd keep us posted, I love hearing about all the breeding and babies

Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
***Beth***
How is she today? Any more progress?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
dw662002
She laid another egg today but again I think it is a slug. I'm not sure what to do. This is my first year for planned breeding. Last year was a suprise. So sorry if I am over reacting

Old 03-10-2011, 03:48 AM   #9
bitsy
Quote:
I'm not sure what to do.
All you can do is wait for her to finish. The more you bother her, the greater the risk of egg binding. If you can pick single eggs out without more than a few seconds of disturbance you could try that.

Otherwise, patience is the key.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
dw662002
as originally posted my candy cane laid a slug on 3/7. then laid another on 3/9. i checked her daily without physically disturbing her and on 3/12 i checked in on her and there was a 3rd. checked her yesterday 3/15 and guess what? another slug. i am now realizing that either she is to old to breed( not sure of exact age. i bought her from a pet store who said she was a past breeder) or the male she locked up with is infertile. the part that is throwing me for a loop is the time in between each lay. has anyone ever heard of or experinced this?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google