CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Ghetto Hatchlingt Rack!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
BloodyBaroness
Funny how people are concerned for health and safety of your snakes and you bow up at it.

Cheaper is not always better. There is a reason certain things are done a certain way.

Both Robbie and Tula were trying to help you see that there are serious flaws in the design.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
CornBoy
Cardboard Hatchling Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
Both Robbie and Tula were trying to help you see that there are serious flaws in the design.
OK
Just for the sake of the thread, because it will stand as a resource, let's try again!

The combustibility thing has been debunked, if there are any other flaws, serious or not, can we get on with this?
Thanks!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
gluttony32
There is no way that could be safe in anyway shape or form....Im baffled you cant see that. Take away the heat cable and put it in a climate controlled room for reptiles and you have a viable, yet shoddy housing system. Im also not sure of what you are expecting to recieve in return for you posting this unsafe method. Recognition? for doing what may I ask? Just for your reference Check the batteries on the smoke alarms and have a fire extinguisher ready..especially since you have kids in your house. It does not matter if the set up is safe , there is always room for human error or mechanical failure of any of the items you have scrounged for that unit. Good luck

Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
CornBoy
This rack is awesome, it took time to plan and build.
The temperatures for each compartment are remarkably consistent.
I will definitely be reusing this rack, until my needs change or a better upgrade comes along.
So far, the only complaint I've heard is about the flammability of the paper, and it is scientific fact that this fear is unwarranted.
My goal is to share my good experience with others.
I encourage constructive criticism! Maybe there will be some...

Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
beautifullywild77
Quote:
Corrugated cardboard provides a source of flaming combustion in a warehouse and is usually the first item to ignite and sustain flame spread
http://www.wpi.edu/Pubs/ETD/Availabl.../koverholt.pdf

So you not only have plastic tubs that in your opinion will melt and puddle before the cardboard would ignite but you have them in the cardboard which has been proven to be the first thing to ignite and which continues to fuel the flames.

I am all for saving money but not at the expense of my animals safety nor the safety of my family.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
AliCat37
I'm not sure where you got your information from, but cardboard & paper definitely ignite much faster than wood.
And no, it did not take time to plan (otherwise it would be made out of a plastic or wood).

Seems like this is a troll thread to get a rise out of those who actually care about the safety of our pets.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
CornBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifullywild77 View Post
http://www.wpi.edu/Pubs/ETD/Availabl.../koverholt.pdf

So you not only have plastic tubs that in your opinion will melt and puddle before the cardboard would ignite but you have them in the cardboard which has been proven to be the first thing to ignite and which continues to fuel the flames.

I am all for saving money but not at the expense of my animals safety nor the safety of my family.
A quote from the paper you cite above: "The mode of ignition for the tests was a small aluminum tray (Figure 3) placed at
the base of the sample measuring 5 x 0.5 x 0.5 cm which contained a thin strip of
glass fiber insulation soaked with heptane. This ensured a uniform mode of flaming
ignition along the base of the fuel sample. The corrugated cardboard tests used 0.25
mL of heptane for ignition while the polystyrene tests used 0.75 mL of heptane, as it
took a longer time for the polystyrene samples to ignite."

How does this apply? Who is planning to set fire with accelerant to their snake rack? I'm sorry, but I have no clue where you're going with that.

I think you misunderstood about the plastic melting, it was supposed to help one understand that the paper could only ignite AFTER plastic melts.
Since paper can only ignite at a temperature higher than which plastic will melt, and
since you are not worried that your tubs are directly on the heat source,
you should not be afraid that the paper will ignite.

Moreover, there's a major fallacy to your argument. That is, you need to compare cardboard to materials that you DO approve of. Right?
You will definitely find some things you LIKE have a lower ignition point than cardboard. That's the bottom line, get over it.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #18
Carinata
Even if you're right that paper has a higher ignition point than plastic (which I highly doubt you are), what about moisture build up? Carboard molds, plastic doesn't. For that reason alone I would never use this system.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #19
beautifullywild77
To each their own. I wouldn't trust it.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
CornBoy
Thanks, no mold, no moisture! Totally safe!
And so glad to see the curses on me and my family have stopped!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google