CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

female refuses food shortly after mating?

Old 04-13-2017, 11:53 PM   #1
canicemok
female refuses food shortly after mating?

On 22/2, it was my female first shed of the year but she was not quite ready for breeding. After the second shed which is on 4/4, she became receptive and had mated with my male for 4 times. However, she is not interested in eating today and I assume she is gravid now. My question is today is only 10 days after her last shed and is it common that they refuse food right after mating? My breeding schedule is as follows.

22/2 1st shed of the year (501 gram)
4/4 2nd shed (610 gram)
4/4 Fed large mouse
6/4 Mate
7/4 Mate
7/4 Fed large mouse
9/4 Mate (618 gram)
9/4 Fed large mouse
11/4 Mate
Today Refuses food

Thank you!

Old 04-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
Dragonling
She gained 110g in two months?? Something's not right here.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
canicemok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
She gained 110g in two months?? Something's not right here.
Yes, she ate 7 regular mouse and 1 jumbo mouse within the period. I measured her weight every few days so it won't be wrong.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
is she pooping?

7 regular mice & 1 jumbo = about 170 grams. For her to retain 110 grams of that total is unbelievable. I agree with Dragonling, something doesn't seem right. Typically an adult snake grows very slowly and retains very little of the prey weight. The babies grow faster and retain more.

I would be very concerned to have a snake grow 110 grams in 2 months, hence the question I asked, Is she Pooping? If not, she's not growing she's impacted.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #5
canicemok
she poop a lot. Another thing is she was 400 gram on 4th Jan. She ate a lot and gained 200 gram in 3 months.
She is a fast grower. At the age of 1.5 year, she was already 350 gram with nice muscle tone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google