CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Corn Snake Laws in New Jersey???

Old 04-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #21
Serpwidgets
Thanks Cowboyman for the link to the PDF.

In summary, this says you can own corn snakes in NJ with a permit. It says nothing about them being morphs or albinos or any of that since it lumps all Elaphe together. As far as I can see, the requirements are nothing that any responsible keeper would not do anyway.

The relevant parts are as follows:

-----

7:25-4.3

(a) Exotic species and nongame species requiring a permit
for possession include, but are not limited to the following:

· ii. Rat Snakes - Elaphe spp.

(b) The Department may issue a permit for the possession of
the above exotic mammals, birds, reptiles or amphibians, or
nongame species provided the applicant has satisfactorily met the
criteria contained within N.J.A.C. 7:25-4.7. (that's coming)

-----

7:25-4.6

(a) The Division may issue, but shall not be limited to, the
following categories of permits.
1. Individual hobby-issued to persons holding exotic
mammals, birds, reptiles or amphibians, or nongame species for
hobby purpose or as pets.

($10.00 Annual application and inspection fee)

(j) Any person holding an Exotic or Nongame Species
Possession Permit pursuant to this subchapter which expires or is
revoked, shall file a report with the Division within fifteen days
after expiration or revocation explaining the final disposition of all
animals in his possession during the calendar year of issue. The
explanation shall set forth the following information: the species
and number of individuals of each species possessed; the date of
birth and current age of each animal, births, deaths and cause of
each death, the complete name, address and telephone number of
the person to whom an animal was transferred or sold, the date the
animal was transferred or sold, and the current location of each
animal’s records.

-----

And finally:

7:25-4.7 General possession criteria
(a) Prior to the issuance of any permit permitted by these
regulations, every applicant shall, in forms provided by the
Department, demonstrate that:
· 1. The animal will be fed an adequate diet; and
· 2. The animal is housed or caged in a manner that:
· · i. Allows the animal to perform the normal behavior
patterns of its species; and
· · ii. Prevents disease, liberation or accidental injury to the
animal and the public, and
· 3. The method of acquisition did not violate the laws and
regulation of this state, any other state or the Federal Government;
and
· 4. The animal shall receive prompt treatment for any
illness or injury from a licensed veterinarian; and
· 5. The animal is free of infectious diseases and parasites
which may be dangerous to the animal, livestock or people of the
state, provided that the Division may request certification that the
animal for which the permit is being sought is free from infectious
diseases and parasites from a licensed New Jersey veterinarian or a
person recognized as qualified to make such certification by the
Director of Fish and Wildlife.

-----

The excerpts I took only apply to pet owners. (If you wish to sell any corns, which you would eventually need to if you breed them, then you need to go through the entire document and understand the entire law so that you know what your state requires.)

So, from what I've read, you can have a pet corn, of any morph, for $10 per year for the permit, and any costs incurred getting a vet exam. It looks like you only need one permit no matter how many pet corns you have. I've gotten vet exams for a ball python for $10.

I wonder if this is similar to the setup they now have in Tennessee...

Old 04-04-2006, 05:45 PM   #22
cowboyman13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger9791

check it out cowboyman...
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/n....jsp?id=h-2794

some states still decapitate the rattlers in front of spectators, i dont believe GA still does this...but they do round up the rattlers. and some hunters do use gasoline to drive them out of their burrows. and in some cases, they keep the rattlers for weeks even months without food until the event takes place.
Recently, there were ads on TV for a rattlesnake roundup in Whigham, GA.
here's another article it's from 1998 though, some of the practices may have changed since then...
http://www.wildclassroom.net/wildide...erroundup.html
Intresting reading and i guess i stand corrected.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:00 PM   #23
Tyger9791
hey i learn something new here everyday!

thanks for posting the pdf, cowboyman, and thanks to serp for interpreting it. my gf is the paralegal i let her read all the legal mumbo jumbo...but all these animal laws/bills get her upset, so i've learned not to ask her to interpret them.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #24
eddie1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
So, from what I've read, you can have a pet corn, of any morph, for $10 per year for the permit, and any costs incurred getting a vet exam. It looks like you only need one permit no matter how many pet corns you have. I've gotten vet exams for a ball python for $10.
Nice interpretaton Serp! But normals are still a No-NO. You cannot get them added onto your permit. They are considered endangered species. This is the same reason I had to get rid of my northern pines before moving here. Other morphs can get approval, especially anything with proven amel genes (butters). It depends on who you talk to on what day for your permit.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #25
Reptilekyle64
so to bump this

so say, if i did own normals and i was breeding and createing normals het then what does that mean, i coudlent even get my breeding permit, as long as i dont sell the normals"

Old 04-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #26
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptilekyle64 View Post
so say, if i did own normals and i was breeding and createing normals het then what does that mean, i coudlent even get my breeding permit, as long as i dont sell the normals"
It means you will be owning a illegal snake.

Amel, Lavenders, Butter, Snow, Opal and Blizzards are what you can be legally own or sell in this great state, so you would be breaking the law if you do.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #27
Iguanagirl8662
This is what the law says:

Corn Snakes are an Endangered Species in the state of New Jersey. Possession or sale of any other color morphs, other that those
listed could result in fines, penalties and/or possible revocation of your permit.

The only color morphs that are legal to possess and/or sell are the following:
Red Albino (Amelanistic), Butter, Snow, Pearl,
Lavender, Blizzard, Creamsicle

Basically saying you cannot own any dark eyed corns because corns are endangered in NJ.

I have my permits for all my reptiles, I just happen to leave out the fact that I have dark eyed morphs. Since I don't breed I can't tell you what the laws on breeding corns would be. Most likely they would tell you it was okay with the right permit but you could not sell them to anyone in NJ. You can email them and ask they will answer you. I think it is a stupid law but I see where they are coming from because a lot of people take snakes from the wild and also release captive ones which will mess with the wild population. People tried changing the law at one point but it didn't work.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #28
Lennycorn
[quote=Iguanagirl8662;835577]This is what the law says:

[
I have my permits for all my reptiles, I just happen to leave out the fact that I have dark eyed morphs. Since I don't breed I can't tell you what the laws on breeding corns would be. Most likely they would tell you it was okay with the right permit but you could not sell them to anyone in NJ. You can email them and ask they will answer you. QUOTE]

Did they updated this???
Because my understanding was that you didn't need a permit for the morphs that you listed. Only if you own an "normal" and ONLY a zoo or such could apply for one.

Ya mind giving me that address and infor where you got that permit. Please............

Old 04-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #29
Reptilekyle64
soo

Do i need a permit for all my other corns i mean wouldent be selling for at least 3-4 years anyways so basicly i should just move to like pa or delaware when those 3-4 years r up? and then get my breeders license?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:52 AM   #30
Maize411
I'm from NJ..and I can't wait to move to FL...these laws here are really holding me back and make me nervous...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google