CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

how do you dispose of you deceased snakes?

Old 07-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
maddy4moos
i think that it is a mark of respect to any animal to bury it, i think to chuck it in the waste bin is a bit harsh on the poor creatures... saying that... i even bury my fish and even any mice that my snake (salsa) doesn't eat... cal me sad... i don't mind

Old 07-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #12
Mrs InsaneOne
It depends on the snake. If it is a hatchling that never survived or would have been unable to survive, it ends up as kingsnake food. I have two confirmed disposals both of which will eat corn snake slugs for me and the smaller, younger one will eat f/t corn hatchlings.

The pets that have died for whatever reason, they get stored in the freezer until we can bury them out back. Just because tossing them out or feeding them to the kings hurts to much because we form attachments to the snakes even if they don't with us.

Thankfully most snakes will live long enough that this isn't something we have to worry about all the time. Though accidents and the unforeseen happen.

Jenn

Old 07-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #13
texastailfeathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs InsaneOne
The pets that have died for whatever reason, they get stored in the freezer until we can bury them out back. Just because tossing them out or feeding them to the kings hurts to much because we form attachments to the snakes even if they don't with us.
It's different from person to person, and no answer is right or wrong.

I get attached to my pets...heck, even some of my livestock (breeder birds, etc.). I am not, however, attached to their dead bodies. Once they die, they're no longer my pets. The bodies are just empty shells. I keep mementos and photos for memories...the corpses are just lumps of dead tissue.

I personally love the idea of feeding culled hatchlings to other animals. It completes the cycle of life, reduces waste. Too bad I don't have a kingsnake. I do, however, feed my deformed button quail to my corns.

The bottom line is that everyone has a different way of disposing of dead animals. As long as it's within the law (you will probably get a ticket for tossing a dead dog into a lake), do what's convenient for you. If you want to get every animal mounted at a taxidermist, go for it. If you prefer to stockpile in the deep freezer, good for you. If you bury each one in the backyard with its own commemorative nameplate, great. If you feed it to your kingsnake, then kudos to you for recycling.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #14
Roy Munson
My first corn died of an impaction. I was 14 or 15, and a bit more sentimental than I am now, so I buried him. I've only had one adult die in my care since (last year), and that one was double-bagged in plastic, and went into the dumpster.

I had a hatchling that I bought die earlier in the year, and one I hatched myself die a few days ago (shortly after hatching). When I don't know the cause of death, I don't give them to my kings. These were not "freshly dead" when I found them, so I wouldn't have fed them to a king anyway.

Culled, deformed hatchlings are given as f/t to my kingsnakes.

I haven't decided on a size limit for what I would offer a king. I've never had to cull a snake over 10g.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
Nanci
Dean, didn't you have a burial at sea, too?

I wrap anything that dies in my possession in something soft and biodegradable, then bury under a tree, sometimes with a rock on top. This goes for little birds I pick up out of the road that have been hit and just need a peaceful death, too. I once carried a (dead, it turned out) bird in my pocket on my bike for an hour.

Nanci

Old 07-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #16
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci
Dean, didn't you have a burial at sea, too?
Yep. I forgot to mention that the two "unfresh" hatchlings were thrown into the river that runs behind my apartment.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #17
E.Crassus
I have buried all the snakes that have died, I have king snakes but wouldnt feed them a snake I loved, wouldnt feel right.
Im very sentimental when it comes to my snakes so feel it only right to give them a proper burial like my parents did for our old cats
It is like a mini graveyard at the bottom of our garden, lukily the garden is around 250 yards long hehe

Old 07-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #18
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
Yep. I forgot to mention that the two "unfresh" hatchlings were thrown into the river that runs behind my apartment.
It would have been evil instead freezing them and then giving them to the local kids telling them that those are pop cycles.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #19
Dave123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricksterpup
It would have been evil instead freezing them and then giving them to the local kids telling them that those are pop cycles.
Here kids, its a new flavor and shape!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #20
Snakespeare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal_gal
i can see how having a dead snake in your backyard might take away from your house's resale value.
I can't imagine that a couple of buried snakes in the yard would lower a property's value. Home inspectors look for things like buried heating oil tanks--not buried reptiles. This is hardly the sort of thing that one would be compelled to disclose as part of a real estate transaction. I'd be more concerned about the rotting carcass of a big dog or cat. Even a snake's bones would probably not be noticed after a fairly short space of decomposition. This is one of the reasons we know less about the evolution of snakes than other reptiles (as I understand it)--because their bones are so delicate that they tend not to be preserved in the fossil record as well as the bones of, say, a T-Rex.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google