• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to make your own Rheostat for less than $7! Detailed instructions.

Oh my goodness...

My bank account thanks you. I was about to go out and but a $40 thermostat. I know some people think they are better, but this rheostat is better then nothing.

So I'm assuming you take the plug from the UTH and plug it into the "female" end of the extention cord? Then take the "male" end and plug it into the wall?

Man, I hope I don't burn my dorm down.

They actually work great. I just wrap mine in Electrical tape. I have one on every cage. They also work great for rack setups too!

I love this old thread.... :rofl:

I have about 6 of these that I've been using for about a year and a half. They've worked beautifully. I check them every now and then to make sure that the connections are still secure and the tape is on.

If this blonde can do it, anyone can!

Enjoy!!

-Tonya

Yeah this thread is awesoem and saved me 14$ on a rheostat!!! I jsut went to wal-mart yesturday, and bought everything to make the second design, and made it last night! It works great so far! i tested it out first on a lamp, so im pretty sure that it will be fine, and I wrapped everything in electrical tape like u said, lol :)

I have a question about the pics...you say the nuetral wire has ridges...mine has one wire with the writeting on it and the other with nothing on it. Whihc of these two is the nuetral?

I have a question about the pics...you say the nuetral wire has ridges...mine has one wire with the writeting on it and the other with nothing on it. Whihc of these two is the nuetral?

LOL i now this will sound dumb but what is a rheostat??

Hunter:)

i am very dumb when it comes to electronics and spelling!!

hello im from the uk and would like to no how to make a rheostat could u plz help

hello im from the uk and would like to no how to make a rheostat could u plz help

Hi guys.

Just to let you all know, i have just made one of these. Mine is slightly different because i am in the UK and the electronics are a bit different.

If anyone from the UK would like to make one but not sure how just let me know and i can get you some pics of mine. :)

Ok so i have a question which so far i have not seen come up the extention cord i bought does not have one with ridges and one without they both are a bunch of fine wires that look the same. The plug end though does have one larger then the other so would that give me an indication as to which is which?

my husband figured it out he is better with that sort of thing. Just got it all setup and waiting to see were we are at temperature wise.

Realistically Rheostats are like $15-$20 right? at least I think thats what I paid for mine, I would say check a local pet shop, they are cheaper. I use a Helix thermometer, and a temp gun. But before I could afford that I had a rheostat.

Back