CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Another interesting spider around here

Old 05-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Rich Z
Another interesting spider around here

This spider is REALLY small. And it was a bit windy out, so it was quite a challenge getting a decent pic of it. But it was colorful enough that I felt it was worth trying.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
Frank Pinello
Cool photos. I'm not a spider fan but you can't ignore the natural beauty.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
DeuceRon
Love it! Any idea as to what it is?

Old 06-11-2018, 05:40 AM   #4
Raven
A type of orb weaver. Orchard spider?

Old 06-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
Rich Z
A member on my FaunaClassifieds site identified it as "Leucauge venusta".

Old 06-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Raven
Yes. Same spider. Latin name vs common name. Pretty little spiders.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
Rich Z
What made it really challenging getting closeup pics was that these little spiders were between the spikes of a yucca plant. So while I'm maneuvering to get the shots, between the wind and trying to avoid getting skewered in the eyeballs by those sharp points of the yucca, yeah, it was a challenge.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #8
Raven
The yucca was indeed the bigger threat. ��

Old 06-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #9
Karl_Mcknight
Spider stuffing itself

I ran across this spider, (have no idea what kind it is) while walking the Lake a while back. The spider was eating what looks to be some type of grasshopper or maybe a Katydid. (I'm thinking it's a Katydid, but there's not enough of it there to tell for sure). I shot the picture with a Canon T5, Hand Held, with a zoom lens set at about 200mm.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #10
Rich Z
I wish the yellow flies would die off so I could get outside with the camera some more. Of course, they are tapering off now, but it appears that the mosquito population is inflating to take their place. It's REALLY difficult to concentrate on taking a photo when you have a bunch of blood suckers buzzing all around you. REALLY takes the fun out of it. At least for me, anyway. I just don't like being a buffet style food item for the local wildlife.

Of course, if the spiders are dining heartily on the flies and skeeters, by the time I can get out there, the spiders will be the size of kittens. Then I'm not going anywhere near them, anyway. I've already seen some HUGE wolf spiders around here.