CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

My right to bear arms is under fire right now.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #71
beautifullywild77
Wow... .

Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #72
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_C View Post
I was going to ask about that 43% number. Where does it come from? What was it before?
Actually, I rechecked my figures. Depending on tax bracket it is more like 32-40% of every dollar earned. Not only that, but there are a greater number of taxes than ever before. If I buy a $35 dollar top up card for my phone, I am charged an additional fee for a "911 tax" that is somewhere around 7 or 8 percent. I am not sure what it was before to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
Nova, this would be like you not having a corn and still giving us advice...
Yes!! That is a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Conservative echo chamber? I am an atheist for gay marriage, legalizing drugs, prostitution, gambling, and pretty much champion any social liberty. I get along famously with these "conservatives," and have had calm dialogs about our differences. The only two posters I have ever had to temporarily put on ignore to avoid their personal attacks were actually leftists. In my view of this forum, it is usually they who are most intolerant of ideas they disagree with.

Not true. You frustrate those you debate with, and I believe you do it deliberately. People are generally not their most pleasant around those who frustrate them.

Please read it again:
I WAS a right winger, and my views have changed so dramatically that I am pretty much just like this guy! ^^^^^^^^

Old 12-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #73
Nova_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Right, but in your scenario, we both have the same animal. Sure, some things are different, but every person's life and experiances are different. Corns need certain things to thrive, no matter who owns them, that is a constant.

But as far as politics go, sure, you can have an opinion. You can have an opinion to your heart's content. But laws made here don't affect you or your way of life, and never will. Policies made here won't affect you or your life, and never will. You don't have to obey our laws where you are. And not living here and being "in it", you don't know what it is like.
You can believe that if this country was run according to your beliefs, or the way other governments are run, that life here would improve. But without all the intricacies of living here under this government, it is a moot point.

I have no knowledge of Canadian politics or policies, or taxes or anything else. Just because I think my opinion of how things should be run is more appealing to me, I would never dare suggest that canada should be run "my way".
And humans are all fundamentally the same as well. You live in a different situation, but it certainly doesn't mean I can't understand it. Or sympathize. What you are saying is basically American exceptionalism and I don't believe there is such a thing. I don't believe Americans are so vastly different from everyone else on the planet that there isn't common ground, that there isn't a shared experience.

And American laws and policies absolutely affect me. The securities fraud that caused the credit crisis could not happen in Canada, the behavior was made illegal, but the US removed that regulation and when the US credit crisis hit, Canada was deeply affected. Our economy is still in recovery even though our banking system was the most resilient. And that's just the most obvious example. What your country does has a huge effect on Canada.

But that's not why I believe the things I believe. I believe the things I believe because of the people I know in the US, the friends I have in Michigan who are freaking out by the passage of Right to Work legislation. The people in New York who I didn't hear from for days after Sandy. I have friends in Florida and California and Washington.

And not a single one of them says my opinion is worthless to them.

Of course, most of them voted for Obama. Most of them support the ACA. Most of them are in complete disagreement with you about the path of America, about the future of America and about the choices the current administration is making. It is their experience and all the information they give me that forms my opinions on US politics.

PS. I'd love for you to talk about Canadian politics. Nobody here cares at all about Canadian politics. I've tried. :P

-----

Chip: I ask again, where did I say anything about cause? Point it out! Because I did not and just reposting a quote where I said nothing about cause doesn't help your argument.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #74
starsevol
Quote:
And humans are all fundamentally the same as well. You live in a different situation, but it certainly doesn't mean I can't understand it. Or sympathize. What you are saying is basically American exceptionalism and I don't believe there is such a thing. I don't believe Americans are so vastly different from everyone else on the planet that there isn't common ground, that there isn't a shared experience.

And American laws and policies absolutely affect me. The securities fraud that caused the credit crisis could not happen in Canada, the behavior was made illegal, but the US removed that regulation and when the US credit crisis hit, Canada was deeply affected. Our economy is still in recovery even though our banking system was the most resilient. And that's just the most obvious example. What your country does has a huge effect on Canada.

But that's not why I believe the things I believe. I believe the things I believe because of the people I know in the US, the friends I have in Michigan who are freaking out by the passage of Right to Work legislation. The people in New York who I didn't hear from for days after Sandy. I have friends in Florida and California and Washington.

And not a single one of them says my opinion is worthless to them.

Of course, most of them voted for Obama. Most of them support the ACA. Most of them are in complete disagreement with you about the path of America, about the future of America and about the choices the current administration is making. It is their experience and all the information they give me that forms my opinions on US politics.

PS. I'd love for you to talk about Canadian politics. Nobody here cares at all about Canadian politics. I've tried. :P

-----

Chip: I ask again, where did I say anything about cause? Point it out! Because I did not and just reposting a quote where I said nothing about cause doesn't help your argument.
But you are not immersed in it.
No matter what your other friends tell you, our laws are not a fact of your life. Maybe you are affected by some degree because of what goes on here, but no more than any other non citizen.

As far as "Right to work", I think it is a wonderful thing.
It gives people the freedom to decide for themselves and doesn't force anyone to belong to an organization that they don't want to.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #75
Nova_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
As far as "Right to work", I think it is a wonderful thing.
It gives people the freedom to decide for themselves and doesn't force anyone to belong to an organization that they don't want to.
They always did.

The Taft-Hartley act of 1947 made it illegal to require union membership.

Right to Work specifically requires unions to provide union benefits for non-members. Which means that you get union protection even if you don't pay for it. Which means the unions will be eliminated by starvation.

So it's an anti-union measure since Taft-Hartley covers everything else.

One of my friends from Michigan asked when they were going to pass a 'right to shop' law since he is being forced to pay for services he wants by retail thugs.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #76
Nanci
Meanwhile, Florida, which already has the most concealed carry permit holders in the country, is set to go over the one million mark next week! Nearly 25% of those CCW holders are senior citizens. And this is reported as _good_ news! :-)

Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #77
Nova_C
Quote:
But you are not immersed in it.
No matter what your other friends tell you, our laws are not a fact of your life. Maybe you are affected by some degree because of what goes on here, but no more than any other non citizen.
And really, this is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. This is about ignorance and wearing blinders. This is about refusing information that doesn't conform to your worldview. How far do you take this belief? Do people outside of your neighborhood not know your situation? How about your city? State? Or do the differences in laws at only the federal level count? Do some countries know more than others? Or is it all foreigners who can't fathom your situation? Does the opinion of someone in Florida hold more worth and knowledge for the people of Niagara, Michigan than the people who live on the other side of the falls less than a mile away in Niagara, Ontario?

Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #78
Rich Z
Quote:
Get what? What are you talking about? You went off talking about ice cream causing drownings. I never said anything about cause.

Let me repeat: I never said anything about cause.. You brought that up.

I stated that judging by the comments here, things were better when tax rates were higher. If things are worse now, they must have been better before. Tax rates were higher before.

What about that has anything to do with what you then implied I said?
See? And now you are pretending to be stupid just to continue the argument.....

Well, if that's the way you want to play it, then here's your sign ->

Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #79
Nova_C
So you can't actually show me where I said anything about causation, you just accuse me of stuff.

Okay. I mean, the last time you weren't able to address what I was saying you just rolled your eyes at me. Is the smiley your 'bail out'?

Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #80
Chip
Nova, read your quote again, please. I quoted it for you in my last post and will again in this one, so you don't even have to look far. You don't HAVE to say anything about causation to insinuate it. If someone says "98% of serial killers like ketchup on their fries," that makes you wonder if they really see ketchup as causation. But if they actually respond to you with the ketchup/serial killer version of "Well, you all talk about how things are getting worse and worse. So I assume that means they used to be better. Tax rates used to be much higher. Ergo, things were better when tax rates were higher."
What are we SUPPOSED to think you are saying, dude??? You have to take some accountability for the way your arguments seem to work out for you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google