CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Getting tired of it...

Old 01-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #81
dawnrenee2000
I was regularly posting up till a few months ago. I Generally would help the newbies or offer advice on husbandry and medical issues since I have studied that quite a bit. Somewhere along the way, the feel of the site did change. As people on the site became more "confrontational" and rude , I decided it wasn't the best place for me anymore because that is not my style. I believe people should give each other common respect and courtesy. So.. I haven't been around much the last few months. I do check in once a week or so to read a bit, but not much else...

Everything changes over time in some way or another...we can only hope that any further changes are more on the positive feeling side of things. I think this is a great site for snake owners and a big help to many new herp keepers.

Best Regards

Old 01-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #82
desertanimal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken
I don't feel it's valid to disregard all newcomer or pet owner posts on that ground alone. The fact that someone has only one or two snakes for pleasure doesn't mean they have nothing worth while to say.
I'm confused by this post, Becks. Has anyone asserted that newcomer or pet owner posts should be disregarded or that pet owners have nothing worthwhile to say? I'm not trying to argue with you. I could well have missed it if someone did say that. If not, though, I'm trying to be clear on what you're getting at.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #83
tyflier
This was posted on page 2:
Quote:
..Like as soon as someone get there question answered regarding a subject, they jump to another thread and act like they have known for years and that they should be the one giving advice...
But this one from page 8 makes a more clear distinction;
Quote:
...Unfortunately, I do feel that a lot of posters are inexperienced but post advice anyway, when asked to back up their statements they try to get themselves out of the spotlight by attacking someone else and drawing attention elsewhere....
The distinction between correct and incorrect replies needs to be made in both of these quotes, IMO, and I think that is what Plissken is referring to.

Just because someone only has 1 snake and less than 5 years experience inhandling and owning snakes, doesn't meant that that person hasn't done their research, and certainly doesn't mean that they cannot contribute with valid, valuable and accurate posts.

In the first quote, it is "frowned upon" for someone to get an answer to a question, and than regurgitate that same answer to the same question for a different person. And I ask "Why?" If the answer given is accurate, what difference does it make where it came from? Alot of the long-time members are sick of answering the same questions over and over. So what is wrong with a newbie answering the question, as long as the answer is accurate?

In the second quote, the very subtle distinction of WRONG information is made, and I think that distinction would have been appreciated in the first quote, and better off being less subtle in the second.

The problem ishouldn't be with whom provides the information. It *should* be with how accurate that information is. And if someone DOES provide inaccurate advice, or simply wrong advice, they SHOULD be corrected. And the person doing the correcting should not have to worry about being attacked for it.

Just my $.02...again...

Old 01-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #84
dionythicus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzal8
It took me a long time to decide that I was no longer happy on this forum, and I never once felt disrespected at all or backstabbed by anyone here. The simple fact is that besides a small number of members still active here that i could probably count on one hand, I just don't see the kind of quality posts that I did when I first started coming here.

I used to admire how resourceful this forum was. It used to feel really special to know that the cultivar/genetics thread i was following, was detailing the trials and tribulations of a ground breaking project. That is not present here anymore, and garbage like this thread has replaced it.

I mean no disrespect to anyone here, and I will still remain an active member, though to what extent I don't know. I hope you all understand the point I am trying to get across.
This is primarily my sentiment. Nothing has been done to me by anyone on here. I simply don't enjoy this site as much as I used to. I looked at the other site and quickly discovered what I had been missing on here. I like both sites, for different reasons. I don't join many forums, or groups in real life, because of politics, personality conflicts, etc. I get enough of that at work.

I don't necessarily consider this thread to be garbage. I voiced my opinion and others shared theirs. I enjoy these threads because it makes people think. At least I didn't mention anything about my snake pooping...

Old 01-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #85
El Jefe
Oh yeah...well I wasn't going to post but I think....

Wait a second. I could say a million things and write an essay detailing the "rights" and "wrongs" of this forum and that forum and the old people and the new people and the experts and the "experts" and the list goes on. I could talk about how life changes and people take different directions and how the industry has taken different directions. I could discuss the different type of people here and their their focus on pets or morphs or the almighty dollar.

But you know what?

All of this drivel I may spout really doesn't matter one bit. It probably won't get people to start discussing more interesting topics or more in-depth issues. It also probably won't cause new people to use the search function more and the old people to have more patience. And I'm quite sure it won't bring people back to this site that have left because of one reason or another.

So...what's the point? I don't know...I forgot. But what I do know is the past cannot be changed unless your are Doc Brown or Marty McFly. The way it was is exactly that....they way it was. The way it is or the way it will be have yet to be determined.....

Old 01-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #86
lefty_mussolini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohrSnakes
So...what's the point? I don't know...I forgot. But what I do know is the past cannot be changed unless your are Doc Brown or Marty McFly. The way it was is exactly that....they way it was. The way it is or the way it will be have yet to be determined.....
Exactly one of the points that I was trying to make.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #87
gwb8568
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohrSnakes
So...what's the point? I don't know...I forgot.
finally, something that i can relate to.

galen

Old 01-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #88
cka
and now the president's "State of the Forum" address ;*)

lol just kiddin'...

There has been a shift here lately towards a more "pet" corn environment vs. breeding, morphology, etc. Nothing wrong with that; it's already been said sites evolve and change constantly.

Many of the "greats" (how 'bout "regulars") that have since left for other sites are involved with more serious aspects of corn and herp keeping. This site doesn't answer their questions or fulfill their interest so they've moved on. I don't feel it has degraded the site any; there's still a core group of knowledgeable posters here, and new keepers are learning more and more.

Folks, if you find yourself getting upset over things other people or groups of people say about you online, or feel slighted because you aren't a member of any "Elite" forum, your WAY too involved in "cyberworld". I never understand the whole clique thing, the "Nah Nah, my sites better than your site" attitude. It's just so much crap along with (always it seems) a bit of @ss-kissing to boot

FWIW I keep corns because I enjoy them, first and foremost. Everything else is just gravy

Yup Dale, it continues to be sjut sankes, huh?

Old 01-18-2007, 02:01 AM   #89
Plissken
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertanimal
I'm confused by this post, Becks. Has anyone asserted that newcomer or pet owner posts should be disregarded or that pet owners have nothing worthwhile to say? I'm not trying to argue with you. I could well have missed it if someone did say that. If not, though, I'm trying to be clear on what you're getting at.
Nobody has used those exact words, but people have said they are less likely to open or reply to petowner threads. Put it this way - even if I've misunderstood, and nobody said that in this thread, I do still believe there is a trend to make a distinction between the two types of snake keeper. Maybe I am imagining things lol, but it's just my opinion

Old 01-18-2007, 02:38 AM   #90
desertanimal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflier
This was posted on page 2:

But this one from page 8 makes a more clear distinction;

The distinction between correct and incorrect replies needs to be made in both of these quotes, IMO, and I think that is what Plissken is referring to.

Just because someone only has 1 snake and less than 5 years experience inhandling and owning snakes, doesn't meant that that person hasn't done their research, and certainly doesn't mean that they cannot contribute with valid, valuable and accurate posts.

In the first quote, it is "frowned upon" for someone to get an answer to a question, and than regurgitate that same answer to the same question for a different person. And I ask "Why?" If the answer given is accurate, what difference does it make where it came from? Alot of the long-time members are sick of answering the same questions over and over. So what is wrong with a newbie answering the question, as long as the answer is accurate?

In the second quote, the very subtle distinction of WRONG information is made, and I think that distinction would have been appreciated in the first quote, and better off being less subtle in the second.

The problem ishouldn't be with whom provides the information. It *should* be with how accurate that information is. And if someone DOES provide inaccurate advice, or simply wrong advice, they SHOULD be corrected. And the person doing the correcting should not have to worry about being attacked for it.

Just my $.02...again...

I see. Well, I've been here for a little bit, and I think what actually may be at issue is the tone of the newbie posters in the types of post you cite, but you bring up a good point also, that misinformation when spouted as gospel is not well-recieved. Nor, should it be. Some newbies need to learn the meaning of the caveat. As in, "I am pretty new and don't have experience with this myself, but the general opinion is . . . " or "I am new and don't have a lot of experience yet. But in MY experience . . . " This sort of thing can go a long way (I would daresay ALL the way) in ameliorating the problems that people have with newbie misinformation AND with some not-well-recieved newbie tone. I am willing to assure you that no "oldie" or "great" would take issue with a newbie regurgitating correct information, and I don't really think that that is what is being implied in this thread by any "oldie" at any turn.

But yeah, Plissken. I'm not likely to reply to "what do I get if I cross x with y" because I identify it as a newbie thread, and I don't think Mendelian genetics is all that inscrutable if you put a little time into it. Now, if the post is labeled, "Wait. I still don't quite get it. Now WHAT do I get if I cross X wtih Y???," I will respond. The implication in the title is that the second newbie has tried already, and has hit a wall. I don't think it's that people won't or don't respond to petowner threads. I think some people don't feel like wasting their time on something that the thread initiator could find on his or her own if he or she would bother to put IN a little time.

And I don't remember the post, but no, I don't think the only thing that matters is that we all love our snakes. I'm sure that the crazy cat lady down the street loves her cats, but I don't want to talk to her about how oh-my-god-her-cat-is-staring-at-the-wall-is-something-wrong on a Saturday morning. Just don't feel like having that conversation. Not saying she's a bad person, just saying I don't want to have those conversations with her about her cats. I, myself, think one of the most interesting things about cats and my relationship to cats is how anatomy cats who are fully dissected still look amazingly cute because for some reason, when anatomy cats are dissected, the dissectors (i.e., my wife and her colleagues) leave the skin on the feet and the head. So you walk in and there they are, all ready to be learned from, and they are just so darned cute you have to touch their noses, even though you are not in the anatomy lab. But you know, not everyone wants to have that conversation with me. And that's ok, too. You can "love" things in very different ways, and not everyone sees eye to eye on that and wants to have the same conversations.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google