• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Poll:Live or pre-killed?

Do you pre-kill ur rats or feed live?

• live

Votes: 36 13.2%
  • frozen/thawed

Votes: 206 75.7%
  • live, then kill it myself.

Votes: 23 8.5%
  • i give mine magical willing-to-die-by-constriction rats!

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters
Freezing food items is actually thought to be benificial in that it kills all organisms, as well the ice crystals burst the cells making it easier to digest. Same nutrients but easier to digest.

I feel this will always be a hot topic with snake owners. F/T mice/rats have are mostly shock frozen therefore have the same nutrial value as live feeders. I feed all of the above here and there as needed. I have breeding mice that I pre kill for most my snakes buy F/t for when I need them to feed, and feed live for the first 2-3 feedings for hatchlings. My ball python refused to eat f/t for months, I was able to get him to take stuned mice, then move to f/t.

I always feed freshly killed mice/rats, other then with my hots...I just love watching them do it..They just bite and back up and let the venom do the work..Just so quick...

same old same old

this has been repeated many times by many people but I will go ahead and add My Opinions to the mix........
It is easier and safer to use frozen/thawed. If you can get your snakes to eat f/t, there is no real reason to use live.
Now we all understand the need to use live on occasion.
There are several reasons why this may be the case. I will not go into these here. That is for another discussion.
I will just say that the sooner you can get them onto f/t the better.
With smaller snakes, pinkies and fuzzies can be fed without worry, they can't cause physical damage.
As far as weanlings and adult rodents are concerned, unless a person lives in a bubble they would have to know the damage they can cause.
Look at the photos, you see them in every one of these discussions. What more proof could you need or want.
When I have had to use "live" weanlings and/or adults it has worked just as well to kill them and then immediately introduce them to the snake in question. (pre-killed)
They are still warm and with a slight wiggle the snake thinks they are still alive.
And in these instances I have made sure to get these snakes back onto f/t as soon as possible.
When I read that someone feeds their snakes live because that's all they will eat, that just tells me that person isn't willing to take the time to switch them over. The bad part is how little time or effort it could really take.
A snake that is feeding on a regular basis will usually switch over quite easily.
I feed my snakes frozen/thawed and recommend frozen/thawed to anyone and everyone who cares about their snakes.
Fresh pre-killed would be the next best option and actual live, a last resort.
I guess that's it in a nut shell.

Last edited:
What is "shock frozen?" I've noticed that my last two batches of frozen pinks/fuzzies looked like they had been frozen only moments before- like they weren't complete blocks of ice yet. I buy from a snake store, not mail order.

Nanci

Fenderplayer108 said:
Please for the sake of your snake, and the sake of your pocket book when you need to rush to a vet because of something like this..
Would you really want your snake to go through this?
c96f664f.jpg

9e3d6685.jpg

Just my 2 cents.
Ryan,
Lifesong Photos
wait you know that snake is it dead if so i will feel very sad because i absolutely adore snakes.

Im new to owning snakes, but I have been on the computer for about three days straight now researching everything I can about Corn snakes and reading books that I bought. Frozen foods for snakes does lose nutrional value, but not at a rate that anyone should be concerned with. You can keep frozen mice or rats for a few months before they become worthless. Fresh killed or mice that have been knocked unconscience are a good option for snakes, but then again, who knows if the snake will feed that time or not. Right now, I feed Demeter pinkies because they cant injure my snake.

But anyway, I prefer live foods for my snake just because of the simple fact its better for her in my opinion. Unfortunatly, prey can cause injuries and so I will definatly knock the prey out or just feed her frozen thawed foods.

That is just my two cents. :)

Wayne
US Army
Fort Riley, KS

nigel the corn snake said:
wait you know that snake is it dead if so i will feel very sad because i absolutely adore snakes.

Yes, I know that snake. It's a good friend of mine who got this snake in a rescue. It was very messed up when it was recieved. She payed almost 4,000.00 in vet bills. Now, the snake will only eat once a month, has large scars, and always has a swollen eye.

No worries, I had a snake I had to feed live to, and was threatened to be reported for it. So I did about 5 minutes reseach and found those links.

You've heard from me on this topic before

My comments on this are quick and simple but I thought I'd chime in since I'm in the 10% of people who do feed live (that's rounding).

I have fed live since mine was a hatchling. It is on six months now and feeds two live fuzzies every seven days no prob. The snake attacks immediately and constricts until the mouse is dead. I do watch the viv and make sure it dies just as Chibitamalove had said he does.

I do realize fuzzies are small and can't cause significant damage. Fine. Maybe as the prey increases yes I understand what could happen.
However, on that thought. Snakes are adaptive in captivity as well as in nature. If taught from the beginning to feed live and they kill effectively then I don't see a problem. I know friends that have had boa's and fed live for years with no repurcussions. Lucky? Maybe... but I believe it can be done so long as you don't start off with thawed or pre-killed.

Also, for those of you who say your passionate about mice. I don't have it in me to pick up mice from my pet store, come home, and slam them against a wall or suffocate them, or kill them in any way. Yes it may be easy, but that itself is cruel. At least when I feed the mice to the snake, I know that that is just the course of nature and the food chain itself in action.

My pet stores around here only sell live unless I'm lucky and petco has some pinkies that are frozen. But they do not have anything above the size of fuzzies that are frozen. So therefore what do I do when it comes time to feed larger prey? Those of us who feed live may not have many options and have our reasons for doing it this way. While this is a heated topic I think we all do need to respect how we each go about doing things. I feel like some people who have taken a very heavy stand almost talk down to those of us who feed live, and that isn't really too cool. Like I said I respect those who go about and started feeding off thawed, prekilled, etc. I just think those of us who do not, should not have to feel like we are ultimately hurting our snakes in the end. We all feel like we take very good care of our snakes and would never hurt them or put them in harms way.

My two cents...

Back