CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Fog Machine?

Old 03-04-2007, 02:41 AM   #1
mcsplifford
Fog Machine?

Would one of those Exo Terra fog machine falls things be o.k. to put in with my corn?

Old 03-04-2007, 02:59 AM   #2
Jrgh17
Why exactly do you want it? Is the humidity too low and you want a way to raise it? Or do you just think it would look cool?

Personally, I think it would cause more problems than it's worth. If your humidity is too low, try using a spray bottle to mist.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:37 AM   #3
tyflier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgh17
Why exactly do you want it? Is the humidity too low and you want a way to raise it? Or do you just think it would look cool?

Personally, I think it would cause more problems than it's worth. If your humidity is too low, try using a spray bottle to mist.
I agree. Corns don't need high humidity levels like tropical species. A water bowl and maybe some misting should keep the average tank/viv/enclosure within reasonable humidity levels. During sheds, you can spray/mist more often and/or add a humid hide.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
mcsplifford
But why wouldn 't you put one in, Is there a good reason or you would just rather mist it yourself?

Old 03-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
snakemom1961
The fog machine may create TOO much humidty which I've read can lead to an R.I.

I think your best bet would be to just mist every day or so to keep the humidity levels within the 50% range.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
mcsplifford
how about a waterfall?

Old 03-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
snakemom1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsplifford
how about a waterfall?
I guess depends on the amount of humidity you have, and how much more water there would be compared to just having a large waterbowl in your viv. I really don't know if the waterfall would be bad or not.. Sorry if this doesn't help.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
Jrgh17
I think the waterfall would be a little better than the mister. In all honesty, though, I would just skip it. I know it's a very cool effect, but the problems with your humidity, plus the money you would spend on the thing in the first place... I just don't think it's worth it. If you look online, there are some very cool ways to make your viv look amazing. Try logs, grapevine, driftwood, rock structures, different types of fake plants, and printed backgrounds. You can also get a cool rock water bowl.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
stragen
When I got my new Viv i saw one of those waterfall things and wanted to get one too, but decided it was not such a good idea.

I think it would raise the humidity too much as other people have said, which could lead to Respiratory Infections or Scale Rot. Also, they have a tube thing which sucks water from the bottom pool back up to the top. This could quite easily get clogged up with substrate/snake poo/fake leaves etc which could cause problems with the pump overhearing as it is not actually pumping anything, not to mention the snake getting stuck to it due to the suction!!

If your humidity is too low, you could get a bigger water bowl and/or put it on the warm end of the Viv. When your snake is shedding, which is when it will need the humidity most, you can put in a humid hide and/or mist the Viv.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
DogStar5988
I thought about getting a waterfall too, but I have owned things like that (the little indoor waterfalls) and I notice they always end up splashing all of the water out and getting everything around it wet, so it may not be the best thing in a snake cage. But it would look so cool with the waterfall and fog if it was more feasible, but It isn't

---Kenny

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google