CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Why clean so often?

Old 11-28-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
nhaislip
Why clean so often?

I have read lots of threads about people who clean their vivs. out every week or every month. This seems really frequent to me and seems really unneccessary because my snake only poops once a week and I can easily clean that out by removing a small area of the substrate. I use coconut bark, which I know alot of people use aspen but I like the coconut bark, and it sticks to the bark pieces really well and I can just scoop that out and be done. I haven't cleaned my amels. cage since I have had her, which has been about two months now. Is there any health reason as to why I should clean the viv out so frequently?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
Madame
I've only cleaned the viv once since I brought her home in August for that same reason; I still wouldn't have cleaned it except for the fact that she had excaped and hurt herself really badly so I didn't want her to get an infection. Whenever I spot clean I replace the aspen with fresh stuff, and I wash the water dish with every change of water; it seems fine to me!

She isn't complaining, anyhow. Maybe I've been doing it wrong this whole time?

I've read about people only cleaning once a year, so I'm not sure. If you don't spot clean I'm sure you'd have to wash the viv MUCH more frequently though.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Blue Apple Herps
Would you only want your house/apt cleaned every other month?

Bacteria and what not can still spread even though you've removed most of the contaminants. Fully cleaning doesn't take that long; especially doing it once a month. That's only 12 times a year. Sure you might be able to go 2-3 months, even longer but I personally don't want to risk my snakes health.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
Will
I'm sure that this is post will have a lot of different opinions posted but when it comes down to it it all depends on what youv'e researched and what you think is right for your corn. Personally i clean mine fully out every 2-3 months and all seems fine so i guess it's up to the keeper.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #5
Lore
Personally I do a weekly spot cleaning, then once a month, I completely empty out the viv or bin scrub it clean and put all fresh stuff in.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #6
MegF.
I would say your house is a lot different from the snake viv. We poop, pee, cough, spit and shed everyday, sometimes more than once a day. We also go outside and track dirt in, have pets etc. Your snake in contrast, sheds once every month or less, pees/poops once a week or so (my chondros once a month or two) and they don't track around outside. I do a full cleaning every couple of months and spot clean as necessary. I usually do a nose check every day too as they manage to hide poop with surprising dexterity. Hard to believe when you see how big some of those poops are! It's very easy to smell it when I walk in my snake room though. When I remove the dirty wet stuff I throw in a handful of new dry aspen to freshen.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
Hypancistrus
Ditto Meg. I am on an every two months cleaning schedule, but I spot clean when needed. I only have the one little guy, so cleaning his poo up is no big deal.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:45 PM   #8
Joolz68
I don't do as much spot cleaning as most since my snake does her bidness in the bathtub. But I have to mist the viv daily because it's so warm in my apartment. So I do full-cleaning once a month, mostly to wipe down any watermarks on the glass.

From the daily misting, the aspen gets (matted?), so I'll fluff it often. But after a month, it looks old and dingy. Since I get free substrate from my petstore, cost isn't a factor. And I line the viv with papertoweling, so it lifts right out- done in no time!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
BeckyG
I don't do a total cleanout every month either, and my snakes are all fine. Comparing a snake's viv to a house isn't a good comparison, and I think Meg said why very well.

I totally clean every 4 months or so. It's worked fine for us.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:25 PM   #10
simple_minded
Here's a recent thread on this topic:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43316

As you can see, different members clean out their cages differently, from once a month to maybe 2-3 times a year.

It all depends on your personal preferences really, and I guess to some degree where you live, since bacteria is more likely to grow in warmer, more humid climates.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google