CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Nikon D850 and image cropping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2018, 01:48 AM   #1
Rich Z
Nikon D850 and image cropping

We've got a fence lizard living on a tree along our pathway that was another photo opportunity for me with the new camera. She is kind of shy, so I had to move slowly and not get too close to her to keep from spooking her. Luckily the Nikon D850 has megapixels to spare, so even getting a moderate distance away from a small subject still gives me a lot of leeway with cropping the image to get what appears to be a closeup shot.

These three pics were taken using a Nikon 28-300 zoom in natural sunlight. The camera was set to programmed mode, so depth of field isn't all that great. The first pic is "as is" out of the camera, with the following two using successively smaller areas in the cropping.

The next three pics were taken using the Nikon 105mm Micro lens with dual mounted flashes. This time the camera was set to aperture priority at f22 to get the widest depth of field. Again, the first pic is "as is", with the later two using cropping to "zoom" into the subject for greater detail.

I think there is a lot to be said with using a camera with the highest density pixels you can get for the image sensor. It gives you a lot of practical versatility using selective cropping without any noticeable loss of detail for the final image.